Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
woody

Value of Miltech JSAR

8 posts in this topic

Bought a Miltech JSAR back during the 1980's because I couldn't find an affordable original Johnson and I have always had a love affair with USGI WWII arms. Oiled it up and stuck in the back of the safe where it has reposed since I bought it except for periodic re-lubing so it's in "original" refurbished condition. Any ideas about the value of the rifle? I'm not trying to sell it, just trying see if it was a good or bad investment.

A friend of mine just got a quote from Miltech last week for a Johnson. Their latest price is $5,600. However. there is about a 9 month wait if you order one.

I have purchased two rifles for Miltech, a Springfield Garand, and a Tula SVT40. Both are fine rifles, the Garand is a tac driver but I will never get back the money I payed for them, they are no longer original. Also if they say nine months be prepared to wait considerably longer and getting a straight answer from them is imposable.

If it's $5600 to refurb plus the original cost of the rifle, that runs your base cost up to never breaking even

I have purchased two rifles for Miltech, a Springfield Garand, and a Tula SVT40. Both are fine rifles, the Garand is a tac driver but I will never get back the money I payed for them, they are no longer original. Also if they say nine months be prepared to wait considerably longer and getting a straight answer from them is imposable.

If it's $5600 to refurb plus the original cost of the rifle, that runs your base cost up to never breaking even

The $5,600 dollar price is all inclusive. You do not have to provide them a rifle, it is 5,600 out the door.

I have to say my experiences with them have been very satisfactory. I have a Johnson that they restored and an all original Johnson. I love them both, for different reasons. The Miltech Johnson is cosmetically perfect and, since it has a match grade barrel, is extremely accurate. The other has the cachet of being an original and is beautiful in spite of a few cosmetic flaws and not being as accurate.

Similarly, I have a Miltech Garand, and three original Garands, and I find the same comparative qualities. One nice thing about Miltech is they have a lifetime guarantee. I bought my Johnson from them in 1993. Last year, after having put probably 5,000 rounds through it over its life, it started failing to feed about once out of every 10 rounds. I sent it to them and they went through it and fixed the problem completely free of charge. All it cost me was shipping to them. They even paid the shipping to return it to me. I don't know anyone else who would give me a 100% warranty after 17 years.

I think you shouldlook very close at that price because I talked to ED the owner and I thought he said 6500 is the latest number. paul

Thanks, guys. I paid $1000 for it so it looks like it was a pretty good investment. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the value over the next 25 years. And thanks for the info on the warranty, Excelsior. I didn't know about that.

Hey: $1000 for a JSAR of any quality is good money, in parts alone.

A miltech for that price I'd say you did very well.

Enjoy it for what it is and take it out to play, as the guys here can attest you will get alot of attention at the range.

Good luck Ryche

I stand corrected, I thought you had to supply the rifle in the case of the Johnson. The 41 Johnson is a rare gun that parts are difficult if not imposable to get so the Miltech Johnson seems like a good choice. In my case the rifles I purchased are very nice in looks and quality but I'll never get their value back as an investment.Right now there is a K98 on GB that the owner can't sell,he has reduced it from the purchase price by $200 { search under miltech}, the gun is a beauty but stock is incorrect I believe. In your case you got it at a great price and if you ever do sell you will do well.