wwiifirearms

Another JSAR comes out of a closet

11 posts in this topic

I found another Johnson and it looks pretty nice. I'll take some better pics when I can get it in natural light.

It seems that the small wood slice has recently fallen off one side of the rear stock and been lost.

Anyone around that can repair this? I hate to replace the entire stock when it is in otherwise nice shape.

-wwiifirearms

Yes , it can be fixed by someone with the correct skills and tools. If noone here chimes in , you may check out the Milsurps site on the 1903 , Garand , and carbine boards.

Chris

An easy fix. Get piece of walnut slightly thicker than necessary and glue it on with waterproof carpenters glue. Clean old surface first. When dry, shape with rasp and medium metal file to match other side. Stain as necessary. The stocks were sanded to shape while hand held against a belt sander and were not all exactly the same.

Sounds like it is easy if you have the skills. I am just afraid to learn the hard way that my skills are lacking. I haven't done much woodworking. Anyone out there with the skills that I can send it to and pay to do it as described?

-wwiifirearms

Regarding the Johnson stock problem I believe I may be of help. For the past forty years my profession has been that of owning and opperating an antique furniture and object conservation studio. I have worked with every major museum in central Indiana, in which I reside. In addition matching missing parts and subsquent correct finishes is my authority.

I too am a Johnson enthusiast and collector.

If I may be of assistance or of any help please contact me Marc Crumpton at mcrumpton@sbcglobal.net

Regarding the Johnson stock problem I believe I may be of help. For the past forty years my profession has been that of owning and opperating an antique furniture and object conservation studio. I have worked with every major museum in central Indiana, in which I reside. In addition matching missing parts and subsquent correct finishes is my authority.

I too am a Johnson enthusiast and collector.

If I may be of assistance or of any help please contact me Marc Crumpton at mcrumpton@sbcglobal.net

Great. I'll send you an email.

-wwiifirearms

Sounds like it is easy if you have the skills. I am just afraid to learn the hard way that my skills are lacking. I haven't done much woodworking. Anyone out there with the skills that I can send it to and pay to do it as described?

-wwiifirearms

I added the laminations to a reproduction stock just as described above. It wasn't what I'd call an easy job, but it went very well and the stock looks just right. I sanded the bulges off with a belt sander until the stock was 2" thick. Walnut blocks were added using Gorilla glue and clamps, and then worked on down to shape. Finish sanding of the whole stock was done with a block, so the surface is not wavey. I stained the butt stock to match the grip stock, which I didn't touch. I've done little or no woodworking in the past, but this came out just fine. Really nice, in fact, IIDSSM.

It looks really good. You did a very nice job. The wood matches very well too.

A complete original stock is nearly impossible to find. Excellent reproductions are likely available from a member of this board. I think Joseph Scott would be the one to contact for one.

-wwiifirearms