Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sinker4

Barrel markings

4 posts in this topic

What stamping should be on an original 30.06 barrel? Do all have the JA stamp?

Hello sinker4,

I'm new to the Johnson M1941, but was asking the same question last weekend. I found this thread on milsurps.com which was helpful to me.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=7112

I also asked a similar question on the CMP forum "Ask Each Other" thread and received some imput which is near the end of the thread.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=56357

Hope this helps!

Mm

Minuteman,

the standard Rifle and light machinegun(like the Lewis) ammunition for the Dutch Army at the beginning of WW2 was the 6,5x53R, not the 8 mm Mauser.

The reason the 30-06 was used was quite simple: in 1940 the Germans were allready sitting cosely(more or less.....) in the Netherlands, and no arms and/or ammo left the country to the Dutch Indies. Next to that, the Dutch Indies authorities had gotten lots of Enfield M1917's including ammo from the US Government, which means that 30-06 ammo was readily available in the Dutch Indies. Also Johnson and the NPC were under great pressure to get the weapons on it's way to the Dutch Indies and surely did not want to spend time redesigning the M1941 to accept the rimmed(!) 6,5x53R.

Concerning the stamps/marks on the Johnsons: I have been looking into the history of Dutch Proof and acceptance Marks for some time now, trying to find the origin of the 5 pointed star and the dagger that are on the Johnson Rifles.

This because I was/am puzzled why these marks are on the rifles and why they did not use the proofstamps that are common on the Dutch Hembrug rifles(crown with a letter).

The "why" I still do not know, but the origin could(I think) be traced back.

I will put this information (together with some pictures/scan's I have to make) in this forum in the weekend when I have some more spare time.

Adriaan