trilobite

Johnson automatics serviceman weapon

12 posts in this topic

I recently obtained a Johnson Automatics 1941 from a close friend who's grandfather was issued it and used it in ww2 and brought it back with him. It is in good overall condition considering it is a action used weapon and has his initials carved in the stock . It is # 2074 with no prefix letter and bolt #2180 . Although I have no intention on selling it altough I am curious of its value and am considering a full restoration . Also any info from the factory would be appreciated - issue date etc.

Just to add :it hasn't seen the light of day for many years and I am presently trying to get from my friend the full history of the weapon and where his grandfather was posted etc. hopefully with photos etc. He as am to understand has been in possesion of it since issue . Interesting history . I can post photos etc. if this helps in obtaining any further information,

He passed away a number of years ago and it has been sitting in a garage for many years .The family out of sentimental value has held on to it for now and as I intend to restore it they allowed me to purchase it in good faith.

Thank you

If you can get documentation of this being one of the few that where issued to US troops and even the man and unit, it would be very special and valuable. I would collect as much info as possible on your friends father and get a letter documenting this was his gun. A picture of him in the service with the gun would be unique. Documenting the gun may not be possible, but if it is the value would far exceed an average example. I would NOT restore a gun with a documented history.

Pics would help put a value on it.

With no documentation most seem to be $2500 to $5000, depending on condition.

I am guessing a documented US military issued rifle could bring 2 or 3 times these numbers, maybe more. If I recall only about 5% of these were issued to US troop, and many of those never made it to the surplus market.

-wwiifirearms

Thank you for you response, The family member with all records is away for three weeks so upon her return I will collect and post for further info. I will post photos this weekend- tried to but wouldn't except my files - maybe to big. I know this was issued to him as this is why the family held so dear for all these years and i have heard about his service for years

Hey If you have the documentation DO NOT RESTORE the rifle. If it has rust or something clean it up nicely but restoration will devalue the rifle.

Wii is right a photo with a letter is best but please leave it in as issued condition.

This would be a prize in any good gun collection.

Ryche

Details for JSAR 2074:

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : 11/21/41

Stock Type: Not listed

Barrel # 1066E

Hammer Block # 1617

Hammer # 3435

Bolt # 2180

Locking Cam # 1439

Firing Pin # 4702

Extractor # 2132

Magazine # 4036

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 11/22/41

Contract : Netherlands Purchasing Commission

Trilobite:

The Webmaster has provided the SN's for each part of the rifle as shipped. You are off to a good start as the receiver and bolt match, which often do not. The more parts that match, the more "original" the rifle, and the more the value will be.

If more parts are identified as matching, I also encourage you to do nothing to the rifle other than normal maintenance and "preservation", not restoration! In this case, less is more!

Great acquisition!

ArtR

Well the hammer block pin I can't locate so unable to take down further but the following are accounted for:

Original : Bolt # 2180

Locking Cam # 1439

Extractor # 2132

Not Matching : Firing Pin #0043

Barrel #886A

I wouldn't have thought the barrel and firing pin too match anyway but very interested to match hammer block , hammer and magazine.

Trilobite

Attached please find a "schematic" for the rifle. There is a "list" of parts/numbers that matches this, but for the life of me, I cannot find the link. If I find it, I will post. If someone else has the link, please attach. I printed out a copy years ago, and from it, it lists PART R-187X as Hammer Block Ret. Pin Assembly (Also magazine support pin) includes 1 ea of parts R187 and R187A. Handy to have a copy.

Sorry, missed a step in attaching

post-10-0-45795400-1327022137_thumb.jpg