Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Misfit-45

Johnson bayonet scabbard

3 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

It may be no secret to you, but I have found variations in the Johnson bayonet scabbard. I bought a scabbard on ebay to upgrade and replace my old one for my Johnson bayonet. When comparing the two, I found that my new one did not have the square piece of leather at the throat as did my old one.

IMG_0033.jpg

I looked on ebay for completed listings of Johnson bayonets and scabbards and found that some have it and some don't. One mint scabbard has, in addition to the leather piece in question, a wedge piece of leather inside the belt loop area of the scabbard.

KGrHqFHJ8E-FMLK-SuBPlvb90nc60_57.jpg

KGrHqFHJEYE91mLTCyBPlvb5N8vg60_57.jpg

Are there other variations out there, and has not someone documented these changes? Thanks.

Marv

Refer to the main site at www.johnsonautomatics.com

Then hit "bayonets", review that material, then hit the article and photos by Walt Liss.

See if that answers your question.....hopefully it will.

Ed J

Thanks for the references, but I have reviewed them quite thoroughly. The two variations I have noted: the square piece of leather at the throat of the scabbard and the shim or wedge piece of leather in the belt loop area. I have not seen any photos or comments on these variations on any website or forum (haven't seen them all of course) and wondered if there might me even more differences out there.

Marv