John D.Kopke

1941 JOHNSON Recomended Spare Parts.

29 posts in this topic

Hello, more knowledgeable than I Board Members and Mr. J. Scott;

Is there a list of recommended spares for the 1941 Johnson Rifle ?

Thank You for any advice.

jonn- a sailor (USCG 1961-1967 Bay of Pigs Yacht Club Member).

Johnson parts are extremely durable, therefore I don't have a list of recommended parts. The most common item needing replacement is an original main spring that is less than 12" long. I have plenty of new ones on hand. I don't normally sell just "original spares" because someone may really need that item in the future. Exterior items that I make are available as spares. My age and health has somewhat restricted my work and responses to inquiries. Please be patient.

I try to keep a spare extractor on hand mostly for possible loss rather than breaking.

Its about the smallest part removed during cleaning.

Mine like to crawl under something when laying on the bench :)

Ryche

I'd recommend getting a couple extra 'Magazine Cover Springs'. They are not a coiled piece of wire, but rather a piece of curved metal that is under tension. I always hear of people with broken cover springs.

Which part in the schematic are you after?  The small clip that holds #12 inside of #11?

1941J_SEMI.JPG

21 hours ago, dana590 said:

I know this is an impossibly old request, but I believe I need a replacement main spring for my Johnson. Can anyone help.

Measure your current spring. If it is under 12” you need a new one. Get ahold of Joseph Scott here on the forum or you can get them from eBay, gun broker or SARCO. 

I will defer to the experts on this, but I believe if the mainspring is shorter than 12" then it may need replacement. I think I remember once Joe Scott examined a rifle where the mainspring had over time set to about 10" which was sort of extreme.

The mainspring on my rifle measures 10.5”. I think I need a new one. Any ideas on where to find one?

7 hours ago, flyer338 said:

The mainspring on my rifle measures 10.5”. I think I need a new one. Any ideas on where to find one?

ebay has reproduction springs posted usually.

Message sent.

Mr. Scott,

I need a recoil spring.

Thank you,

Brian Newman

I sure I’ve spent to much time on the farm but can the short main spring be stretched back to length?

phil

8 hours ago, matconcrete said:

I sure I’ve spent to much time on the farm but can the short main spring be stretched back to length?

phil

Well you can but it wont last. Springs need replaced when they wear out

With regard to springs, this is an interesting read.

My preference is to buy a spring from Mr. Scott @Joseph Scott. But I have not been able to establish contact. Tomorrow morning I will buy the spring on eBay if it is still available.

Joe Scott has been having problems with his PM (personal messages) folder and has not been able to access/read....

I posted my email address openly in the thread, and I am doing it again.

@Joseph Scott please contact me at flyer898@gmail.com about a JSAR mainspring. I hope Mr. Scott is well and gets his computer problems sorted out. I will wait a little longer.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:28 AM, Joseph Scott said:

I still have plenty of new springs made with silicon chrome wire.  $25 plus $4 postage.  Message me.  Joe

I messaged Joe and tried in every other way to establish contact. This morning I purchased a spring from a seller on Gunbroker.

I hope all is well with Mr. Scott.

I just got my first JSAR.  I was putting the bolt back in and the extractor disappeared.  I had it on the bolt sliding it in and well now i can’t find it.  Pulled the magazine off - not in there. Pulled the trigger assembly out - not in there.   Man, I can’t find it.  

Atleast it was not a matching part…. It is here somewhere but man.  

Where can I get another extractor or two?

Thanks,
D.

False alarm - part found.  It fell down into the butt stock. Was between the wood and main spring tube.  
Learning a bunch about JSARs tonight.  

D.

Yup....learning a lot.... how to keep an eye on those parts for one.....can sure make your 'heart' jump when that happens. Enjoy for sure just the same.