Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alan1945

New to Johnsons, A Few Questions

14 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, I'm a firearms collector in Ontario, Canada. I've wanted a M1941 Johnson rifle to add to my collection for a long time and have finally found one for sale. It has serial number 0244 (no prefix). Most of the parkerizing is gone, but its full-military and fully functional and in good condition mechanically. The stock has a crack in the heal, but it looks old and I don't think its spreading. The wood is in good shape overall. The price seems fair, so I'm interested in getting it. M1941s are hard to find up here, so one in rough condition is better than nothing. The catch is that it needs a new barrel. The original is worn out. It completely fails the 'bullet test' at the muzzle, barely has any rifling left, and I doubt it could shoot accurately. How hard is it to track down a replacement barrel, and what price range would I be looking at? Thanks, Alan

Occasionally you will find used barrels on sites similar to Auction Arms. However, if you are interested, Joseph Scott has new after market barrels for sale. Contact Joseph Scott thru this site. ArtR

Occasionally you will find used barrels on sites similar to Auction Arms. However, if you are interested, Joseph Scott has new after market barrels for sale. Contact Joseph Scott thru this site.ArtR

Thanks for the info. Reproduction or original doesn't really matter to me since I'll be keeping the original 1941-dated barrel anyway.

I already sent an email last night, but I'd thought I would ask here as well.

Alan

Just to give everyone an update, I bought the rifle yesterday. Upon closer inspection, its actually in better condition than I originally thought. Some pictures are below:

097522a3-8d36-4638-8fcf-2136a676469c_zps

c9ed9002-50c2-4f23-903f-c5e5d271d699_zps

b64489bd-d24d-4fa0-85d5-6675436ede28_zps

a3dd8f36-9dcd-47ef-93d3-687247ccca3e_zps

a87d0642-2542-48ff-9d59-d410bf1fbde9_zps

Thanks.

I paid 2500 CAD. I believe the last 'complete' one up here sold for around $4000 over a year ago -- it looked like it was reparkerized and the receiver was pitted. There was also one that had a few problems (I don't believe it was shoot-able in its current condition) that recently sold for 2500, if I recall correctly.

As for this one, I still have to take it to the range and see how it shoots. There might be enough rifling left, but I still think it needs a new barrel at some point down the line.

Alan: I can't quite tell from the pic are you missing the forward mag pin??? Looks like the little metal retainer is there but i don't see the pin. Might want to check real close in the depression in the back of the hand guard, right in front of the mag. If there is a hole under the small metal retainer Its missing. Great looking piece by the way you don't see them in that condition often. Ryche

Ryche,

Good job spotting that. Yes it is missing the front pin. The fellow I bought it from has a friend bringing up a replacement from the US free of charge. I'm waiting for an ETA, but it should be no more than a few weeks maximum.

As an aside, I ordered a copy of Bruce Canfield's book that should be arriving today. I'm looking forward to learning more about these rifles.

Hey Alan, Nice buy! You definately do not see anything Johnson up here especially parts. The last one I saw for sale was at Collector's Source in Acton about two years ago, I don't remember the price but I think it was $3500. Mine has no prefix as well and I wish I knew more about how they came to the Great White North?

The US importer, Winfield Arms of Los Angles, Ca, bought about 1/2 of the arms that the Dutch auctioned off. The other 1/2 was to be sold the next year. In order to keep other importers from knowing about the sale, they brought the first lot into Canada and sat on them until next year when he bought the other 1/2. Later when he had the whole batch, they were brought into the US. We think some were sold in Canada. I know of a person who said he imports some from western Canada through a friend who seeks them out. There may be more details in the book.

Hi Charlie,

This one came from one of the fellows that runs Collector's Source. I bought it directly from him, and actually had a chance to inspect it before I bought it. Nice guy. People often complain about their prices, but for some items they're quite reasonable. From my experience with them, its all high-quality stuff, too (I bought an IBM M1 Carbine a few years back).

How many other Johnson owners are there in SW Ontario? I'm located north of Burlington.

Alan

Thanks Joseph - I should really find a copy of the book... Alan, I bought a Ross 1910 from CS and was really pleased - a few minor issues but the metalwork was like-new. They stuck it in the mail and Canada Post sent it to the wrong depot, I had to run around to different Shoppers Drug Marts to find it and then I had to convince the girl behind the counter that the "tall box in the corner" was likely my missing package. Anyways, I beleive I'm the only owner in Niagara but I think there was one more out your way. If you search the forum for "Canada" or "Ontrio" you can probably narrow it down. The first time I took it to the Silverdale Range most of the regulars knew what it was but had never seen one in person. It was like being the kid with the best toy so I let everyone fire a few rounds until I hit the problem with the Barrel Latch.

I'll have to see what looks I will get at the Burlington Club next time I show up. Over the past few months I've picked up a number of interesting rifles (among them an all-matching Type 99, and a round-reciever Finnish B barrel M91) but I haven't had a chance to take them to the range yet. It should be a fun afternoon when I do.