Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcrusher

Heed a little technical help

4 posts in this topic

I am a new member here and just ordered a replacement stockset from Joseph. I have an "A" prefix JSAR that has a severely damaged buttstock and in preparation for replacing the buttstock have stripped it down but do not know the procedure for removing the recoil spring tube. I've been a collector of Military firearms for years and finally got the opportunity to finish my U.S. WWII list and while I've dissassembled everything from an M1 carbine to the M1919 the Johnson tube has been my baliwick. The rest of the rifle is a common sense dissassembly including the magazine but on this How do I proceed ? Thank you , John.

John, to strip the butt stock, remove butt plate, swivel and the two small screws half way down the stock. Then remove the large head buffer screw under butt plate. This is sometimes hard to loosen. Make a screw driver type device at least 3/4" wide(screw slot is 7/8"), hold stock in padded vise and back out buffer. Spring and follower will come out but will not jump across room. Measure spring, it should be 12" lg. Then screw the buffer in about 1/2 the length of its threads, and bump it forward. This is to take tension off the small recoil key where you removed the small screws, Then remove the little 3/16" key, it comes out either side. Now the key is free of the recoil tube and you can remove the recoil tube forwards towards the receiver end of stock. Sometimes they are stuck and you bump buffer a little farther now that the key is gone. The end of the recoil tube is very thin and has special internal threads, Be careful and don't damage it. Use a 5/8" dowel or plastic rod to push tube forward and out. The concept of the recoil keys is that they take recoil instead of close inletting. The buffer screw puts a little tension on the small key to insure good contact into stock. Loosening the buffer and bumping it takes that tension off and allows key removal. I have a 1hr-36m DVD covering complete stripping, inspection, lube, etc. Joe