Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnygun

serial number location????

11 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a Johnson Rifle and I cannot find the serial number. It hasn't been filed away anywhere, but I thought it was supposed to be under the Johnson Automatic Rifle and patents stamp on top of the receiver. It only says S - 6. Is this a serial number???????

Thanks for any help.

John

post-8226-60059_thumb.jpg

post-8226-319543_thumb.jpg

New guy, If you disassemble the rifle you should see serial numbers at 8 different places I don't remember seeing any S series rifles. I have a couple of pieces/parts mark S-7. Taft Pierce marked their rifles with an "R" prefix. The "S" could possibily indicate Marlin or maybe a prototype/toolroom receiver of sorts from Johnson Automatics itself. The only serial numbers I have are for pre-prefixed rifles. walt

I tried to add a pic but got the wrong one. I'll try again. The bolt was marked 2143.

There were seven S prefix rifles made. They were produced on the first day of production as sample rifles. S7 was for sale a few years ago. S5 (if I remember correctly) was disassembled and turned into a semi-automatic carbine.

So this was one of the "first-day " rifles but ended up with bolt 2143. It's a shame the rifle isn't in better condition!

Hi Mitch-Yes , the whole rifle is in rough shape. I am trying to locate a barrel assembly for it as that part of it was missing, as was the rear sight assembly. I'm thinking I should take whatever rust covered barrel assembly that comes along and put it together and leave it alone. I'm not sure whether to try and refinish it or leave it "as-is" . I have a few people looking for a barrel for it. If it's that rare a Johnson, I wouldn't worry about making it a shooter. I'm not sure what direction to take with it yet.

The Bolt # doesnt mean it wasn't original to the rifle. If it were mine, I would collect and install all of the correct parts for it and leave it at that, maybe keep the condition from getting worse but not a full blown restoration. A qualified gunsmith couldtell you if it would be safe to shoot at that point. In other words, dont scrub all of the Patina off of it . Just a thought..

I agree with Mitch....just a good general clean-up that only removes loose debris. I'd leave it "as found." Except for seeing if you can locate original parts to complete the assembly. I've actually got a couple of original barrels that I parkerized last week. One of them would have been just the thing for you. Now they look too nice. When I got them they looked like they had never had a finish, and had never been on a rifle. You should be able to find a decent "shooter" barrel that will match your old "patina." Please post pictures of the entire rifle if possible. I'd love to see it....heck, I'd love to own it! I'll look at the other barrels on my rifles and see if any of them could be swapped out with one of my newly parkerized barrels.

You have one of a run of seven rifles . Lightly clean and oil to preserve. Wait for professional advice before going further. My advice , Chris

I just found an interesting article on the internet that stated rifle S-1 was successfully fired on April 19, 1941. I can only guess S-6 would have been around that time too. John