barkerka

Johnson Experience Needed

6 posts in this topic

Hello All, I am new to the world of Johnson arms and need some expertise, and what better place to start right? I have recently acquired a JSAR and took it out over the weekend and warmed it up with a couple dozen rounds... all I can say is what a great rifle! My problem is related to rear sight, it appears to be a bit "floppy" on the windage screw, in that I mean it moves up and down rotating on the treads slightly. The treads seem to be tight and not altered in any way, it just has vertical play +/- 1-mm moving forward. The sight sits normal on the receiver at rest. There is no problem holding zero at 200 - 400 yards Is this normal or am I missing a shim, groove placement, or something???

I am currently away from the guns safe for a bit ("3-hour tour" you know).. I have posted the only photos I currently have. The sight appears to be all original using the dovetail mounts and slide elevation, but that little amount of slop on the windage adjustment has me scratching my head. Perhaps it is normal..

post-8227-58467_thumb.jpg

It sounds like the front of the peep might have a broken upper lip. The peep has an upper and lower lip which rides the rear of the leaf and prevents the movement you mention. I have seen quite a few broken peeps. Many years ago I ordered a peep and got a broken one. Seller said that's all he had and they weren't made since 1942. So I had some made and started into the parts business. If you have sideways motion, likely problem is the spring loaded plunger under the knob is stuck and not loading windage screw to the right.

Thanks that's good feedback, I will take a closer look at the lips you mention and report back.

post-8227-94689_thumb.jpg