Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TomW

Duffle Bag M1 & M1941 Return

6 posts in this topic

In the most recent issue of Garand Collectors Association GCA JOURNAL Volume 28- Issue 2, Spring 2014 can be found a six page article by Clyde Cremer entitled-

TWO WARHORSES RETURN HOME.

Clyde recently purchased an M1 and a M1941 Johnson, that were returned in a duffle bag, by an individual who served during WWII, on a ship that supported the island campaigns including Bougainville, the only battle that Johnsons saw combat, with the 1st Marine Parachute Battalion.

The article discusses the history of The Netherlands and the M1941 Johnson, the differences in the front and rear sights of the Johnson and the Garand and speculates on where & how this sailor acquired, these two battle field survivors.

Numerous color photographs of these two weapons accompany the story.

Johnsons saw lots of action on Gavutu , Tanambogo , Guadalcanal ( where my Marine Raider freind first saw one ) , and Choiseul before Bougainville. Chris

ryche_me

You might check out the following web sites of The Garand Collectors Association- www.thegca.org.

Check out the "GCA Journal" at http://www.thegca.org/the-gca-journal

The way I read it, a person must join the GCA for $25/year to receive the Journal. I would bet if a person joined, they could request a copy of this particular Journal. As usual- Reproduction of any part of the journal is prohibited without permission.

Garand Collectors Association, Inc. P.O. Box 7498, N. Kansas City, MO 64116. Telephone: 816-471-2005. FAX: 816-421-1991

ryche_me if you don't find a copy drop me a PM and I will scan it for you and send it in an email.

In the 1942 BlueJacket manual, it states that the 1941 Johnson is the official navy rifle. The navy issued rifles to vessels, not individuals. It is possible that the rifle came from such a source, not the USMC. I talked to one person who said they had one on a blimp to shoot mines, a common use of navy rifles.