M48TANKER

Can you identify the other parts?

7 posts in this topic

M14 selector parts

Thanks, It's no wonder I thought they looked familiar! There were still M-14 select fire rifles around when I was at Fort Knox in 1969. I recall being trained with the M16A1, the M3A1 "grease gun", the 1911 .45 caliber pistol, the M2HB heavy machine gun, and the M37 version of the 1919A4 cupola mounted machine gun on the tank. I suppose they skipped the M14 because they thought they were phasing it out, and because Armor Crewmen were not too likely to be issued an M14. As it turned out the only "personal" weapon I was issued in Vietnam was a .45 caliber pistol. Tankers were supposed to use the crew served weapons on the M48A3 tank. There was one M3A1 grease gun to share between the four crew members on the tank but mostly it just hung on the inside of the cupola. M16s and AK47s were not too hard to find lying on the ground. We all picked up M16s as we were able. AK47s filled the void until you could grab an M16. The AK 47's distinctive sound signature was sort of frowned on as sounding like enemy gunfire. I'm pretty sure the Marines still had a bunch of M14s in service. It really varied by the unit you were assigned to and your mission.

How did you make out with the auction?

Amish-bob: Here is the outcome: Winning Bidder "oldindy" .......not me. Winning Bid......$626.00 + $25.00 shipping .............more than I wanted to pay. The muzzle end of the barrel looked "funny" to me, like it had been turned down or something. This left the cross cuts for either the bayonet lug pins, or the front sight pins, just only slightly showing? I couldn't figure it out. The M14 selector parts would be of no use to me and I don't know anyone who owns a full auto M14 and needs any parts. So I just let it go. Too much to give for a barrel that is not original in all aspects. IMHO.

I was also watching but never got a bid in on it. It just seemed like more than I'd want to pay

I have no idea what the M14 parts were worth but the JSAR bbl could have been trimmed down to a nice carbine bbl....if it could be had for a few hundred. $650 was steep for a bbl without sight or lug. 2 nice complete, original JSAR bbls with good bores just went on Ebay for $800 and $840 which was most reasonable since they often go for more than a thousans