M48TANKER

To Park or not to Park?

4 posts in this topic

I have some accumulated parts which I recently cleaned up. Front sights, bayonet lug, original rear sight leaf with elevator, rotary magazine shell, NOS trigger guard, a couple of complete military dressed barrels, etc. These parts are "in the white." They were never installed on a rifle. "WWJD" .....in this case: What would Joe do?" (or any of you who have extra parts) Do you think I should go ahead and parkerize them in expectation of using them myself one of these days? Or...do you believe that they would be worth more if I left them in the white...and let the new owner put whatever type of finish on them that is their desire? I would expect that a parkerized finish would be acceptible to most anyone restoring a rifle. Many guys don't have the set-up to do parkerizing themselves, so they would rather buy a part that is already finished and ready to install. All input is appreciated. If you happen to need any of these parts I might consider selling them.

I would "park" parts which can be used or sold separate. Just be sure they are blackish and not green park. Front sights and lugs, I would park some, leave some white. I sell some to customers who want to have their gunsmiths install them and park assembled on a barrel. Others want them colored. I would park complete assembled barrels as most buyers don't have a barrel sized tank. How did the parts get white? I have never seen original parts in the white, most "Blackened" finish or just a few parts, such as bipods-"Parkerize".

Joe, It appears that these parts were never 100% completed. Whether they were halted in their progress on the assembly line, due to the production plant closing, I don't know. The parts appear to be new and couldn't have been used because the holes for the taper pins were never drilled.

I suppose we might never know unless we can find someone involved in the parts sale to Winchester, then to Numrich and Sarco. Does anyone know the exact date production of the 41's ended?