nabla

Johnson question

5 posts in this topic

Hi all! I picked up a Johnson at an estate sale about a year and a half ago, but only recently got around to firing it. I found that my rifle has a strong recoil and ejects the brass violently at 3 o'clock. Also, the brass is left with two fairly deep scratches on each casing. From lurking on here a bit, it seems these could be symptoms of a weakening mainspring? Does anyone know where I can find a replacement spring, and what the specs for one are? And are there instructions online on how to strip the rifle and replace the spring? Thanks guys!!

That's exactly how mine acted when I first took it to the range. Yes, you need a new 12" long recoil/mainspring. You can pm Joseph Scott here on the board for a new spring. He also has a dvd for sale that explains/shows how to disassemble and maintain the Johnson.

If you have a FAL rifle. you can use the same multi-tool that's used for the pistol grip nut/recoil spring nut in the buttstock to remove the Johnson's mainspring. YMMV due to slight manufacturing tolerances. On the Johnson (assuming you have separated the stock from the receiver already), remove the butt plate, you'll see the end of the buffer recessed into the stock. That buffer is what is screwed into the spring tube. If you don't have a FAL tool, then find the largest blade flathead screwdriver...you may end up buying one to fit so you don't bugger up anything. IF you are lucky...it will break loose easily, but it probably won't. Once it unscrews, remove the buffer, spring and plunger. Clean the inside of the tube thoroughly, as well as the buffer, lube lightly and reinstall with new spring. You may want to apply a little anti-seize to the buffer threads for the future.

Thanks dash! I'll go ahead and pm Joseph Scott and see if I can get a replacement spring! So replacing the spring fixed the Johnson issues you were experiencing?

Yes it did, but it will still ding the brass up. Nature of the beast. After replacing the spring, I had an extraction issue...Would extract the case, but the claw would drop it before it hit the ejector. Haven't taken it out since, but it seemed to be working when operating the action by hand. Got another extractor from Mr Scott btw.

Also make sure the ammo you are using is not above 150 gr. bullet. I fired some 180 gr. mistakenly through mine and it just about knocked me out of the seat. Also possible to break an ejector, you don't want to do that as they are hard to find and expensive if you do find one. Ryche