dhazel74

New to the 1941 Johnson World # 7877

11 posts in this topic

Hello all,

First post here with a lot of questions but, last week after many years I was able to purchase JSA serial # 7877 (no prefix) so that should put it in the first run produced to my understanding.The rifle is in overall good to excellent condition. The wood,barrel and internals all look to be in above average condition with decent park left.However,it does have some needs in order to get back to original condition which is my goal.

The receiver was drilled and tapped with four holes for a scope mount and the complete rear sight is missing (some parts on hand from seller).On a good note the dovetail on the receiver was left intact so the rear sight should be able to be replaced.Were to find parts?

The barrel does not have a bayonet lug. I have heard that some rifles lacked the lug is this a possibility with mine and again if I want the lug can it be installed on my barrel?

I see a forum member is able to post info from records from the Johnson factory for the first run of 10,000 rifles. If there is any info on mine it would be much appreciated ser. # 7877.

Thanks much!
David 

Rear sight - Numrich has reproduction parts https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/439410.htm Part# 439410 Sight $21.95, Part# 439420 Elevator $12.95. eBay also has them, but you are likely to find they are reproduction parts also from Numrich. Gunbroker.com may have these from time to time. Joe Scott may have originals or reproductions (Joseph Scott 2808 Memphis Ave. Nederland, Tx, 77627-6732 jmscottparts@gmail.com (409) 722-6279). ALL original Johnson barrel (30-06), have a step for the bayonet lug. You can probably find one from Joe Scott, Gunbroker or eBay. If there is no step for the lug, it may be an original barrel, re-profiled by Winfield (or someone else), but it also could be a replacement. Look for markings near the chamber area - J.A., 30-'06, proof mark (circle O [Sword] I inside) and a 4 or 5 digit number with one letter on the end.

Thanks for the reply and info clinocio. I will check out gun parts for the rear sight assembly.As far as the barrel there is no step machined into the barrel aft of the rear sight for the bay lug and there are no markings on the barrel as you described.The collar at the mid point of the barrel is marked 30.06 at the top and 41 on the bottom.The lug on the chamber end of the barrel is marked 3829K.Midway between the chamber and collar there is a small # 7 stamped on the barrel.That is it for markings.So it seems somewhere along the way the barrel was replaced not surprising for its 70 plus years.The barrel does have a mirror bore with very strong lands and grooves.

Thanks
David

Here is the data on JSAR#7877

Received from Cranston Arms 3/12/42

Stock #2

Bbl #1322F

Hammer block #9287

Hammer #0886A

Bolt #5733

Locking cam #9053

Firing pin #A7402

Extractor #5941

Magazine #A946

Transferred to NPC 3/16/42

As no one has mentioned it, I will. While rifles did have serial numbers, they were not produced in any particular SN order. Therefore, there is no particular reason to believe that your rifle was or was not produced after any A or B prefix rifle. Notice the mismatched SN's on parts when it shipped from factory. (Reference is made to "the book", pages 87,90)

If Joe Scott is not able to fix up a barrel for you due to health reasons.....you may feel free to contact me. I have a good used military configured barrel with bayonet lug and correct front sight and it's in good condition with new parkerizing. I probably also have a bayonet lug and extra front sight if you should go a different route. Your rifle sounds like a refurbished Winfield "Sporter" since they installed scopes and new barrels with ramp type front sights. Post some pictures of your rifle and someone on the board will be able to tell you more.

Hello all,

Thanks for all the info and responses!

Brain, much appreciated for the data sheet on my rifle. When I get her stripped down I will check the rest of the parts against the info you provided. I know that the barrel and bolt are not original. That I can say for sure.

Art - What book are you referring to ?

Tanker -  I will get some pics up as soon as I can been working a lot as of late. My barrel is not original but,has the original front sight installed less bayo lug. The barrel is of unknown origin. Thank you for your offer I may take you up on it down the road if still available. I need to get my rear sight on before I go any further so I can at least function test it.

David 

Edited by dhazel74

David,

If your barrel does indeed have the original front sight, then there is the possibility of being able to turn down the area behind the front sight for the bayonet lug.

It will take someone with a lathe to turn it down to the proper dimension. I've done this many times. When you get to it, use a micrometer to find the diameter of the barrel in the location where the bayonet lug should go. We can proceed from there.

David

"the book" is "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns" by Canfield & Lamoreaux, http://www.brucecanfield.com/johnson-rifles.html

now that you have the rifle, you will enjoy "the book", sort of "once you've seen the movie, you will enjoy the book" ha ha

but it is well worth the investment and time to read

ArtR

David

"the book" is "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns" by Canfield & Lamoreaux, http://www.brucecanfield.com/johnson-rifles.html

now that you have the rifle, you will enjoy "the book", sort of "once you've seen the movie, you will enjoy the book" ha ha

but it is well worth the investment and time to read

ArtR

Thanks for the info on the book Art. I will look into it.
David

If Joe Scott is not able to fix up a barrel for you due to health reasons.....you may feel free to contact me. I have a good used military configured barrel with bayonet lug and correct front sight and it's in good condition with new parkerizing. I probably also have a bayonet lug and extra front sight if you should go a different route. Your rifle sounds like a refurbished Winfield "Sporter" since they installed scopes and new barrels with ramp type front sights. Post some pictures of your rifle and someone on the board will be able to tell you more.

Tanker,

Sent you a PM