Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yuccacapt343

JSAR Bolt Lock

5 posts in this topic

Another newbie to JSAR question. I understand that the early rifles did not have a bolt lock. My rifle, #5836, does not lock the bolt back or at least the bolt won't lock open? Is my rifle early enough in production to not have the lock?

thanks

wayne

Some had it (properly termed "bolt stop") and some did not.  In some, it is present but not functional since it has to be activated when sliding the buttstock group on by depressing the magazine door.

You can get one from Sarco for $35 http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/johnson.aspx It does make taking the barrel out a little easier. I have heard many were removed by Winfield before being sold as surplus in the 1950s.They were trying to market to the budget minded deer hunter and every ounce they could reduce could make the rifle more appealing.

Alot of the bolt stops were removed by the original carrier or later owner as they are kind of a pain in the butt to work with.

bolt stops are avlb. but they are as stated kind of a pain to work with.

Good luck with your new toy and be prepared to answer alot of questions at the range when you take her out.

You will also run into alot of "Experts" who have never owned or fired one with alot of bad publicity to tell you about them.

Just blow these guys off they are not worth the argument time and don't know any better.

You will also find guys who are very appreciative to just look at it or hold it, most having never seen one outside of a museum.

Good luck with her

Ryche