Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GregOwens

Inhereted Johnson

18 posts in this topic

Hello all. I'm new to this site, but proudly inhereted my Johnson from my grandfather. I've fired the weapon about 35 years ago, but since disassembly today, I've noticed some missing parts:

1. Bolt stop.

2. Pin that holds the buttstock to the receiver.

3. Internal pin in the charging handle that snaps into the extractor.

I've ordered the stock pin and another extractor from Numerich gun parts but cannot seem to find a bolt stop. Is it a necessary part?

The johnson is an A series weapon, and was used as a deer rifle for many years in montana. Unfortunately it has been blued, the sight base ground off and tapped for a scope, and the barrel threaded along with a flash suppressor looking thing. Also the bolt and magazine cover have been machined with some diamond pattern.

Does anyone on this site sell parts that I need to get this rifle running proper again?

Thanks!

GregOwens

Hello Greg, 

Contact Joe Scott on this forum. He will have all the parts you should need.

Wayne

Can anyone answer my question about the bolt stop being a necessary part to safely fire the weapon? Thanks in advance!

Greg, 

My JSAR does not have a bolt stop. From what I understand, the early models did not have them. Mine is one of them and I fire it often without issue. My only concern is I don't like firing any weapon dry so I have to remember how many rounds I have fired because the bolt does not lock open after the last round.

Wayne

Ummmm.....The bolt stop is the little barrel shaped block aft of the bolt and forward of the bolt stop plate .

While I don't know for sure , I would think it would be most unwise to pull the trigger on a gun without one.

Chris

Did GregOwens infact mean the "bolt stop" (part#8  on the Numrich schematic (part #2 on the JSAR)) or the "bolt catch" (part#7 on Numrich schematic (part #72x on the JSAR)) which held the bolt open after the last round fired?. As emmagee1917 stated, the bolt stop is required, the bolt catch is nice to have but not necessary for an operable rifle.

Numrich schematic http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Johnson-33325/Semi-Auto1941-36753.htm

JSAR schematic http://www.johnsonautomatics.com/Schematics.htm

ArtR

ArtR,

Bolt stop, not bolt catch, lol. Finally, I get the answer I need! I'm glad I disassembled the rifle before firing it! Now the pain begins...finding a replacement part. Thanks for the info.

GregOwens

Sorry about that Greg! I read your post wrong. For whatever reason I thought you where talking about the bolt catch

GregOwens

If you did in fact fire the rifle 35 years ago, and if your grandfathers effects are still around, the bolt stop may be lying around on his gun bench. It sounds like the rifle was disassembled at some point, and someone overlooked reinstalling it. If not, that may be a tough part to locate.  If someone had access to one and a good machine shop, maybe a workable replacement could be made.

I will look to see if i happen to have one otherwise Joe might have one or possibly Brian. As soon as i can wade through the snow to the shop i will take a look.

Ryche

Ok i checked and i do have one avlb. $20 plus $2 should cover shipping just about anywhere.

You can answer on this thread if interested or shoot me a P.M. for info exchange.

Ryche

All I can say is, ryche_me is going to make GregOwens a very happy fellow this year! Three cheers for the members of this group!

Today is my birthday, and I cannot think of a better gift then someone actually offering to help me out. Thanks again to all of the forum members for your help! You guys are a great group. I'm glad to be a part of the JSAR family.

Greg Owens

US Army, Retired

So a Big Happy Birthday to Greg. He and i are working it out and he will have a shooter before to long:)

On a separate note i finally found some magazines for my MP-35. I have been hunting for 7 years for these and sent the check yesterday for 3 of them...

So merry Christmas to me  hehehe.

Ryche

Hello everybody and Happy New Year...  Gregs part is on it's way Mon. and we are talking about the cocking handle problem.

So we should have another on the line soon...  Just wanted to update all.

Ryche

Received my bolt stop (not bolt hold open) yesterday and installed it. Happy days!!!! Thanks to Ryche_me for all his help. 

So glad that you got the correct part and now have a safe to operate rifle. If you are comfortable with it, maybe you could post a few photos of your "new to you" piece. And you will also have to report how it functions, if you take it to the range. Best wishes and good luck!

ArtR