Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alasdair MacDonald

New article on Melvin Johnson's bolt design

7 posts in this topic

Guns and Ammo magazine February, 2016, page 48,  has an excellent reference to Eugene Stoner and Melvin Johnson collaborating on using the Johnson 8 lug rotating bolt on the AR-10 and AR-15 (M-16). This bolt design was patented clear back in 1937 showing how way ahead of the pack Melvin Johnson was in firearms design. He was a true pioneer in this field. The Johnson family should be very proud of him. Cordially, Alasdair

Alasdair, thanks for the remarks above. I tried to look up the G&A issue you mention and am not finding any reference. Is the info contained in a specific article?  Ed J

The article actually starts on page 46 with a 2 page photo spread, and is about the Daniel Defense DD5V1, "A .308 That Does It All" and on page 48, the first 4 paragraphs are where this is all mentioned.

That is a big 10-4 rubber duck ArT, Did you see the Johnson 15 minute clip on the JSAR and assault weapon and the light machine gun on the Outdoor Channel.? It was on Wednesday and I believe will re-show it all this week. It was short but it was very good. Love the LMG ripping off rounds. Cordially, Alasdair

I am unable to pull that article on the internet and look at it. If anyone wants to copy and mail the copy to me, I would appreciate it. Send to E.R.Johnson, 100 Plaza Court 981, Groton, CT 06340. Thanks in advance. 

As for the Outdoor Program, I posted a notice about that on this site and expect to get a copy of it shortly.   Ed J

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+.308+that+does+it+all%3A+the+Daniel+Defense+DD5V1.-a0440401422

BEFORE WE HAD THE AR-15, we had the AR-10. The mid-1950s were an exciting time in the American military small arms world. Word was out that the U.S. Army wanted to replace the M1 Garand, so manufacturers scrambled to provide suitable candidates.

In 1955, an outspoken Melvin Johnson worked alongside Eugene Stoner at ArmaLite. Stoner has long since been credited with designing the AR-10 and later the AR-15, but it was Johnson's eight-lugged rotating bolt that made Stoner's design possible.

Johnson first patented his rotating bolt in 1937 and built a light machine gun around it that the Marine Raiders used in the Pacific during World War II. The rotating bolt locks into a steel barrel extension and contains all the pressure from firing a round. With the pressure contained by these small steel parts, the rest of the firearm can be made from lightweight material, like aluminum.

The beauty of the Johnson/Stoner design is the simplicity, durability and light weight, all prized factors in any military firearm. The Army would ultimately select the M14 over the AR-10 in a politicized and hotly contested process. While the M14 has more history attached to its name, in my opinion, the AR-10 was a better rifle.

Excellent ! Thank you for the posting.    Ed J