Joseph Scott

Removing recoil tube from sporter stocks

4 posts in this topic

I sent a new stock to customer and he didn't know how to remove the tube from his sporter stock.  Tried to pull it out forward without removing the blind key under the plug, ended up damageing end of tube. First remove the rubber butt pad, some have Phillip screws, some are straight blade, push a small screw driver through rubber to find what type you have. Then loosen the buffer assembly (7/8" slotted ) about 1/4" to take tension off the key.  Next dig out the plug and find end of the blind key commonly used.  Clear out all the wood filler on that side.  Next go to the opposite side and estimate where the opposite end of key is.  Drill 1/8" hole to verify you have found the key.  Next drill larger hole so you can punch the key out.  When you have the key out, then you can push tube forward towards receiver by hitting the buffer screw.  Be sure it has about 1/4" threads engaged to prevent damage to tube threads.  When it moves (some of the keys had epoxy around them), unscrew buffer and using 5/8" wood dowel push the tube forward and out.  Clean tube inside and out, check that buffer threads in without problem.  On rare occasions, you may have to split the old stock to remove the tube.

Install the recoil tube from front end until you see the slot for the key come into view through key hole, slide it back and forth until you see both sides of the slot and it is centered for the new 3/16" key.  Install key and screws on each side.  When you install buffer, it will put backwards tension on key to prevent movement in the wood.

Check your main spring for length-12", if shorter replace it.  Check function of buffer spring and oil it.  On the follower, check that the small 1/16" cross drilled vent holes are open and the hole from the bottom is clear through to the cross holes.  This vent system is important to allow air behind the follower to escape when cycling. use oil on main spring, not grease.  On installing the rear swivel, use short 5/8" screws.  If the tips hit the tube, grind off tips.  The customer with the new stock had used 1" screws and an 1917 swivel from his old wood.  They blocked the tube hole and would have pierced the tube if he had put the tube in first.

Great info for a newbie like me! After disassembly and cleaning, measured my mainspring and it was 11 1/2". Anyone have a replacement 12" they are willing to part with? I'd rather purchase from a fellow board member than SARCO, Numerich, etc. Thanks again!

Greg

I tried to remove the rubber butt pad from my sporter; got the screws out, slotted, after much ado.  Low and behold I can't get the pad off!  It acts like it is glued on!  Did they glue some of them on?  If so, any ideas how to remove it without damaging anything?  Thanks for the help.