Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
conestoga101

Restoring 1941 Johnson barrel

2 posts in this topic

Several years ago I purchased 2 -1941 Johnson barrels. These are my observations. The barrel in the upper part of the photo I believe to be a 1941 military as issued and came with a front sight only, with ears ground off. The barrel in the lower part of the photo is a Winfield sporter barrel that had a ramp front sight.The military barrel has both barrel collars marked in military fashion. The lower collar has stamped 9820H, which is also stamped into the barrel itself. Also stamped into the barrel is JA, 30.06 and what looks like a Johnson logo. Barrel is approximately 22 5/8" long. There are 2 steps at the end of the barrel to accommodate the bayonet lug and front sight. The diameter for the lug is .591 and front sight is .565. Thanks to Mark for selling me a front sight with ears. Purchased 2 bayonet lugs from Sarco. Thanks to Brian for lead to pins available on ebay, No. 2 tapered pins by 1/2" long.

The Winfield sporter barrel has the barrel collars marked in military fashion. The lower collar has 6799E stamped on collar, but no markings on barrel itself. The barrel is approximately 23" long with no steps at end or barrel. I believe a good gunsmith with a lathe could turn the barrel to make the steps to match military barrel. Hope this helps, with others trying to restore barrels.

DSCF3323.JPG

A good Machinist can turn the barrel. I just had it done not long ago with the barrel i'm using for my replica Para-carbine.

It helps to have the orig. barrel for him to get measurements.  The sporter barrel was most likely made by Winfield using JSAR parts a la the collar and guide with numbers.

They ended up with most of the JSAR parts after the war and built several different models for public sale.

Now that you have the correct equipment  we are looking forward to seeing pics :)   I'm working on getting my JLMG and Para finished soon.  I will have pics up then...

Ryche