mbpope

Mainspring tube and screws

6 posts in this topic

PM user dagarbuz as he was saying in  a recent post that he had made tubes that worked. Others may have a source for the screws.

Yes sir I did last night I found that old post where he was saying that

in a Winfield sporter stock that has the screw hole covered up by a piece of wood, does the stock still have that screw under the wood or did they remove them all together? This is what I have. 

thanks

Edited by mbpope

Under the plug is a solid key without screw holes. Most have epoxy around the key.  You will have to drill a small hole on the opposite side and punch the solid key out the large hole. To remove the tube, unscrew the buffer about half way and drive it toward receiver end.  The tube is very thin and easy to damage the threaded end. Once you move it, use a 5/8" wood or plastic rod to drive it out forward.  The original stocks have a square thru hole for a 3/16" key and has counterbored recesses for the screw heads.  The design of the tube and key arrangement is ingenious but very hard to make correct on new stocks.  The location of the key/tube affects the closing of the bolt and proper functioning.  I have new threaded keys and screws.

Ok this is probably beyond my expertise to do as I have none of this experience at all. Thanks for the info. 

ill have to find someone who has worked on these rifles before to do that. At least I know what to do now.

joseph I would like to buy the screw and threaded key from you. Let me know what I owe you and I’ll send a check or PayPal whatever is easier. 

thanks 

Got out the recoil tube and the key just like you stated above mr Scott again his advice works and ceases to amaze me.. thanks for the info