Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

The business of making the 1941 Johnson's

2 posts in this topic

we have all learned a great deal about the rifles and lmg's.  However, I think we should know more about the business end.  If anyone knows of an old employee (man or woman) still living, please talk to them.  My questions are such as:  who were the investors by name?,  what bank did they use?, who were the sub-contrators, for what items?,  who did the accounting?, how did JA get paid for contracted weapons?,  I read elsewhere that the wood was made at Woonstock(sp) plant, was it JA or a sub?, who made the forgings?,  how many milling machines did Cranston plant have?, was the large vertical broaching machine at  Cranston or elsewhere?. what price did JA get for each rifle, did it vary with buyer or time?.  what were the cost to make them?,      When I think about running such a business, it amazes me.  Hope this stirs some thoughts?

The only contacts I had were the folks in Hope Valley, R.I. running a custom rifle/shotgun re-building operation under the name "Johnson Automatics Associates" with Dad's blessings. The owner was Kenneth Kemp and one of his toolmakers was "Ike" Isaacs. Both worked at Johnson Automatics and both were very decent people. I had them assembling the 5.7mm spitfires in 1965 - 1967 on a part-time per gun basis. They had a number of tools and machines left over from the Johnson Automatics company, and also did their own blueing. Both men have since passed on. Joe, in one of our conversations or communications, I believe you told me you picked up some tools or dies from the Estate of Mr. Isaacs, years ago. (or am I mistaken?)  I think Walt Liss may have picked up a rifle from someone who's father worked at J.A....not sure...and the rifle itself may have been lost in Walt's house fire. And both Walt and I met a relative of Carl Eckdahls, who worked at JA but it is unlikely he would be able to answer your questions. Lastly, Bruce Canfield purchased a rifle from the son of Sheldon Jones, one of the JA directors, back when the book was published circa 2002. Bruce might be able to put you in touch with the son (if still alive) to see if he could give you any info. Let me know what you find, if anything. You ask some strong questions....