Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian Alpert

303 Brit JLMG??

3 posts in this topic

A number of years ago I acquired a 1941 JLMG horizontal mag, mag support assembly, bbl and bolt in 303 British.  It came from a man who has a huge stash of Johnson stuff.  The mag is NOT a 303 Dror mag which is much smaller (see picture comparing).  It appears factory made as does the support assembly.  The bolt is Johnson, not Dror and fits 303 Br.  The bbl is unmarked, looks Israeli but has Johnson locking and guide collar marked 303 Brit.

I mated the 303 components with a modified JSAR receiver and LMG lower to make a 303 Brit LMG look-a-like.  It fires and cycles but does not feed reliably from the magazine.
I have no idea as to the origin of this.  Prototype, fake, whatever.  One could possibly modify a 30/06 support assembly, bolt face and adapt a 303 Dror bbl with Johnson collar and guide but the magazine itself would be most challenging.  Any ideas or thoughts?

DSCN2810.jpg

DSCN2811.jpg

DSCN2805.JPG

DSCN2812.jpg

DSCN2813.jpg

DSCN2806.jpg

Brian...that is very interesting.....the magazine does appear from markings to be factory made....I wonder if the feed problem might be either a weak magazine spring or crudded up magazine assembly? Many times mags were put away 'filled' and long term compression screwed with the spring?

Just a thought.

Otherwise, a unique gun?

Art

To go to such lengths to fake something in 303? The Brits did request all arms manufacturers in the west to send samples that may be of interest during the war. And Melvin being the salesman he was, surely took advantage of it. The Brit War Museum would Identify it for you in a second if you contact them. Did Herbie from England ever see these parts when he was alive? Also, the feed problem is easy to correct but depends on how it manifests..... does it override the cartridge or does the the cartridge nose up or down? Does it fully eject? Great very odd duck.... Looks like something the Japs would do also. 7.7 and 303... remember they copied the M1, Pedersen and many others.... some down to the markings.