matconcrete

Jar coming on RI

8 posts in this topic

I found four, lots numbered 472, 477, 486, and 3495.  They all have the same basic Johnson history.  3 of them are B prefix, one B series seems to have some unusual deep serial number stamping, and one non prefix which may have been a sporter converted back to military, however can’t say 100% that this is the case based on 3 pictures they show. 

Found another one this morning, lot#1487, non prefix, with para. Marines documents, will have to check the book to see if the serial number match’s the known information in the the johnson book.  This may be the story you were referring to.  I know a forum member has a documented para marine johnson, and maybe this auction is his. 

Lot #1487 includes some nice memorabilia from a paramarine but nowhere states that this was an actual paramarine rifle.  

I didn't see anything in the documentation to suggest that Corporal Aiello stated that this was THE rifle he had when he was in the 2nd Para Battalion.    

I agree, the description did not claim this was a para rifle , interesting memorabilia, but worth the premium?

The only para jar I have ever seen is a photo in Bruce’s book. Can’t imagine where the bidding would go on a verified example.

The memorabilia is indeed interesting and putting a value on it would be quite problematic. Typically, such paperwork doesn't have a substantial market value despite whatever historical interest it might have.  Regarding the rifle, it should stand on its own merits and be valued like any other Johnson rifle with a comparable degree of originality and condition.  

Yes, once again, buy gun, not story. And I agree with Bruce....there is no statement of direct connection between Aiello & the described gun. The wording of the comments tries to suggest otherwise. It is not the first time this particular auction house has moved in such a direction on Johnson products, which suggests to me that it might benefit them by raising the value of a gun and hence their commission on the final sale.

We have seen such action in previous years, including some flagrant misrepresentations by one particular outfit based in California who is now out of business, I believe. They were the ones who claimed to have received and sold Johnson Rifles et al directly from the Estate of Melvin M. Johnson, my father, which was a complete fabrication.

We make reference to this type of activity in one of the "Saved" messages at the top of this section. So let the buyer beware.

19 minutes ago, Ed Johnson said:

See the section regarding "Estate Sales"