Ed Johnson

"Canfield's Corner" Website

9 posts in this topic

I have been somewhat distracted lately by recent personal events, along with the current Covid-19 Virus problems that threaten to affect all our activities for many months to come. In an effort to try and play "catch-up" before undergoing a forthcoming medical procedure, I have been visiting various sites on computer that I had not reviewed in a while. One of these is "Canfield's Corner" which contains a variety of comments by Bruce himself on various firearms industry topics and collector advice, which he has been writing for several years

Bruce has been busy traveling, which might be limited now, due to the Virus. But if you Google and visit "Canfield's Corner" on-line, he still has a posting with a very nice photo of him with his very rare Johnson Auto Carbine, along with a description. I encourage everyone to see and read it if you have not already.

Bruce was also tentatively scheduled to give a talk at the Springfield Armory National Historic Site in Massachusetts coming up in June 2020, with the scheduled topic to cover the Johnson-Garand controversy, using material from our "Johnson Rifles & Machine Guns" book (published by Mowbray), along with some newer material. Walt Liss and I were planning to attend that seminar. However, the program might be up in the air now because of the Virus, so we'll wait and see. Stay tuned......

Ed,  I had my webmaster take down the "Canfield's Corner" section of my website sometime ago primarily because I was too busy to do it justice.  However, I will be having the entire website revamped in a few months and will have a similar blog section and can resume postings.  Some of the old "Canfield's Corner" site is cached and can still be accessed online as you noted.  The Historical Symposium sponsored by the Cody Museum to be held at Springfield Armory has been postponed until later this summer or  fall. They're still committed to having it sometime this year.  By the way, my new book on WWII small arms will have a lot of information on the Johnson weapons, especially the semiauto rifle, that I gleaned from USMC files and other primary documentation that wasn't available when we did the book.  There will be quite a bit of information that hasn't been previously published. The book should be out sometime in May or June.

Looking forward to your new book.  You all stay safe and healthy!  

Just a follow up, has the book been released yet?  I did some internet searches and didn’t find anything yet, still searching though. Of course Covid has changed a lot of plans as well.   Anxiously  waiting!!!   😀

Mowbray Publishing indicates that they will have the books from the printer in early August. I will have a notice on my website as soon as I have some books in hand. Thanks for your interest,

Thank you Bruce!  

Thank You Bruce i have your book on the 1941 Johnson Rifle you signed it for my dad looking forward to your new one and your website  Canfield's Corner back up and running

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the update. I also look forward to the arrival of the new book.  I have a copy of "the book", first printing I think, with EJR's autograph.

ArtR