Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian Alpert

$13359 for a Chilean!

10 posts in this topic

A very nice JSAR just went for $13K+ on Gunbroker. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864335220 The rifle in 30/06 is actually, by serial # a Chilean contract.....which generally do not bring that kind of money.  Rick Crosier certainly lives up to his reputation as a high end martial arms dealer.

There was no mention of it being Chilean which are apparently not highly sought after.  If the buyer ever gets the serial # data, he is in for a shock.   I have a virtually mint Chilean, certainly as nice as that one, almost all #s correct, with original Dutch pattern sling and bayonet with Chilean scabbard.  I displayed it at a couple of big shows @$6500 and there was no interest although other JSARs did well.

Brian,  it's really a shame when sellers don't fully disclose information to potential buyers. On the other hand, perhaps the dealer wasn't aware of its Chilean origins. Regardless, you're absolutely correct about the purchaser having buyers' remorse if he finds out!

He was aware.  I told him.  His response was "thanks, good luck bidding"

The phrase "Caveat Emptor " also comes to mind...The way to stop this practice is for the people with that kind of money to spend is to sue him for misrepresentation/fraud, like in the collector car or art world. :angry2:

Actually, the only "error" in the description was that it was 1941 manufacture, the rest was standard "boiler plate" JSAR history.

Per my records SN 6483 was last seen on this site as part of an estate auction Nov-Dec 2013.

Interesting how if you oil the gun up really well before you take photos, "That ol'  thang shur looks nice 'n shiny!  Must be 'spensive!"

JSAR #6483 was sold as a 30/06 although it was originally 7MM  Chilean.  There were apparently 2 people who got all the JSARs at that particular auction and one of them was Rick Crosier.  $6600 (bid + buyers premium) was top dollar in 2013 but he ended up doubling his money.