Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roverboy

How many Countries used Johnson rifles?

4 posts in this topic

I know this is probably a stupid question but, have wondered this for some time. I know the U.S. did and Dutch West Indies but, have never heard anywhere else. Thanks

I  suggest reading in "the book" on usage.  I know Chile got 1000 for a special unit, police I think.  The NPC, who ordered the rifles for the Dutch East Indies army, I believe, shipped a number the before the Japanese got there.  There was a website on this army showing native troops and Dutch officers with Johnson's.  It has disappeared and I can't find it.  The Dutch fought a good retreat but were overrun with light Japanese tanks.  The US 36th division sent an artillery unit there who fought well.  They were captured and are known as the Lost Battalion of the Texas 36th division.  I don't know if Johnson's were actually used in the combat.  The Dutch west indies got theirs after the war.  Other members probably have more information.

Thanks Mr. Scott. I do need to find more history on them. 

There is an unwritten story of Johnson Rifles and machine guns post WWII.  They were well made American arms not identified with the US government.  It has been suggested that some of those big surplus dealers were CIA fronts or at least supported by them.  During the 50's, the CIA supported many insurgencies, so long as they were not communist.  Castro had JSARs, the Bay of Pigs Insurrectos were armed with scoped JSARS.  They showed up in Red China, Vietnam and the Korean conflict.

DCP00659.JPG

ChiComJSAR.jpg

bay_of_pigs_captives.jpg

Johnson in Cuban service 5.jpg

Johnson in cuban-revolution.jpg

Johnson rifle in cuban service 3.jpg