camstuff

New JSAR on Gun Broker.

7 posts in this topic

Decent starting price, it will be interesting how the bidding goes for rifle and what appears to be decent bayonet/scabbard

Hey Art,

I agree on the scabbard but to me the bayonet is suspicious. It does LOOK old and well worn. But, check out the spring rivet, the heavier muzzle ring, and the little "tabs" on each side of the spring. Most all original bayonets I've seen have rounded edges on those tabs...this bayonet looks a tiny bit more squared up. From the bottom the spring appears to have a larger and more pronounced curve to it.

I'm certainly no authority on bayonets but I have studied diligently to be able to tell the difference myself....hehehe. I'll admit that I can't always tell the difference but these are my observations. If I'm sadly mistaken...please someone enlighten me!

If someone has created a "look-alike" they did a fair job of aging it.

pix055423803.jpg

pix495302874.jpg

Contrast.jpg

Bills Short Johnson 005.jpg

bayonet on end of rifle 1.jpg

I also thought that this bayonet was a reproduction. , and suspect that the forearm is not original military, but really not enough good pictures to really identify all features of this one.  I am curious about the outcome!  

Camstuff,

I can't see the portion of the forearm that would reveal the origin. If it has a notch for the front magazine pin, it might be original. But from what I can see it's probably a Winfield or replacement.....which is easy enough to reshape into a military configuration.; Another thing to be aware of is that the stain/finish on a factory Johnson was a "dipped finish" which stained and sealed all the screw holes and ends of the wood. If you can see lighter color bare wood showing in these recesses, chances are that it's a reproduction.

Also the "split spring pins" holding the front sight and bayonet lug on the barrel are definitely wrong. They should of course be solid "taper pins" and would have made the rifle far more pleasing to the eye. (of the beholder)

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought an imbecile, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.:rolleyes:

16 hours ago, M48TANKER said:

Also the "split spring pins" holding the front sight and bayonet lug on the barrel are definitely wrong. They should of course be solid "taper pins" and would have made the rifle far more pleasing to the eye. (of the beholder)

One problem that comes with filling your brain up with "facts" ....is that you are often at a loss for the exact word. Most people call these:Roll pin.JPG "ROLL PINS" instead of "split spring pins"

Although "Spring Pin" can be a substitute when your brain is foggy.

I just hate it when I am at a loss for the right word, that's why we have Wikipedia.

Now, here is the proper fastener for the front sight and bayonet lug on a 1941 JSAR:roll pin 1.JPG

Installation of taper pins is best done using the correct tools: roll pin reamer.JPG

Joe Scott has posted a great tutorial on the installation of taper pins along with the correct diameter and length.

One possible case is the bayonet forging is original (v-shaped entrance) but the spring and rivet have been replaced.  I think Sarco sells the parts.  Most of the replicas have a circular entrance from a round milling cutter.