Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
russojap

Source for reproduction stock

18 posts in this topic

This stock looks terrible, what are my options? It's also cracked so I would be afraid to shoot it. Is Joseph Scott still making them? I wanted to get one from him several years ago but never did.

IMG_20201004_184237478~2.jpg

IMG_20201004_184300538~2.jpg

IMG_20201004_184843597~2.jpg

IMG_20201004_184254718~2.jpg

Boy, if that is the worst part of your stock, I have seen worse! The crack in the grip by the receiver does not look like it has gone far, and could possibly be salvaged using a glue.

Is your SN a non-prefix or prefix?

Sorry, I am not making stocks due to a vision problem.  To repair a crack, use super glue.  It penetrates all the way like penetrating oil and actually is stronger than wood.  No other glue penetrates to bottom of cracks.  Since the Johnson rifle takes recoil through the keys, most cracks are not critical.

6 hours ago, ArtR said:

Boy, if that is the worst part of your stock, I have seen worse! The crack in the grip by the receiver does not look like it has gone far, and could possibly be salvaged using a glue.

6 hours ago, ArtR said:

It's a non- prefix, is that good or bad?

IMG_20201004_184954212.jpg

2 hours ago, Joseph Scott said:

Sorry, I am not making stocks due to a vision problem.  To repair a crack, use super glue.  It penetrates all the way like penetrating oil and actually is stronger than wood.  No other glue penetrates to bottom of cracks.  Since the Johnson rifle takes recoil through the keys, most cracks are not critical.

Ok, thank you for letting me know. I regret not getting a stock from you before. As I recall you recommended fitting the stock to the action by hand and I didn't want to have the headache of shipping the rifle to you.

Aren't there any other reproduction stocks for these rifles? I've seen a lot of them with stocks that look unissued, surely they aren't original.

Hi russojap,

Nice to see you on this forum!

Actually it is good info

We have production log info for this rifle

Manf by or Rec'd From Cranston Arms 3/9/42

Stock No. 2

Barrel No. 3441E

Hammer Block No. 9458

Hammer No. 6630

Bolt No. A0898

Locking Cam No. 9598

Firing Pin No. A6806

Ejector No. 8363

Magazine No. 3848

Disposition Date 3/13/42 to J.A. Inc -NPC

5 hours ago, ArtR said:

Actually it is good info

Stock No. 2

Barrel No. 3441E

Hammer Block No. 9458

Hammer No. 6630

Bolt No. A0898

Locking Cam No. 9598

Firing Pin No. A6806

Ejector No. 8363

Magazine No. 3848

Very interesting, thanks for letting me know! Unfortunately it looks like the barrel has been replaced. I'll have to check the other parts.

5 hours ago, ArtR said:

Actually it is good info

Stock No. 2

Barrel No. 3441E

Hammer Block No. 9458

Hammer No. 6630

Bolt No. A0898

Locking Cam No. 9598

Firing Pin No. A6806

Ejector No. 8363

Magazine No. 3848

Wow, very interesting! Thank you for letting me know. It looks like it no longer has the original barrel. I'll have to look at the other parts. I just happen to have a picture of the barrel because I wasn't sure if it was original or not.

21 hours ago, metrotps said:

IMG_20201004_185043903~2.jpg

It is considered lucky to have even two parts that match....

30 minutes ago, ArtR said:

It is considered lucky to have even two parts that match....

Ok great, thank you. These things are very interesting, I'll have to read my Johnson book again, but I'm sure there is more information on them now than a few years ago.

It looks like the bolt also has the wrong number.

IMG_20201004_184237478~3.jpg

And, when I say "parts match" I mean that the SN's on the individual parts match the SN's from the production logs. To have two SN's match is good, to have more is really a stroke of luck.

4 hours ago, ArtR said:

And, when I say "parts match" I mean that the SN's on the individual parts match the SN's from the production logs. To have two SN's match is good, to have more is really a stroke of luck.

Yes understood, I knew they didn't come with matching serial numbers on the parts but didn't realize they had records of the numbers on the parts from production, again very interesting.

I'm looking forward to finding out what's inside this thing, but I'm not really familiar with the operation of the gun so will have to do some research before I try to take it apart. 

Joe Scott has a DVD video that he did a number of years ago that takes you through the complete disassembly/assembly process

1 hour ago, ArtR said:

Joe Scott has a DVD video that he did a number of years ago that takes you through the complete disassembly/assembly process

Great! Thank you.

This youtube link may work also, though his use of nomenclature may be a bit off

5 hours ago, ArtR said:

This youtube link may work also, though his use of nomenclature may be a bit off

Thank you very much! Looks great,  I'm excited about finding out what's inside. I'm going to watch the video several times though to make absolutely sure that I can put it back together correctly.😂

Per ArtR " Joe Scott has a DVD video that he did a number of years ago that takes you through the complete disassembly/assembly process"

I would buy the DVD due to the fact that anti gun Google owns YouTube and that video might disappear soon.

5 hours ago, metrotps said:

Per ArtR " Joe Scott has a DVD video that he did a number of years ago that takes you through the complete disassembly/assembly process"

I would buy the DVD due to the fact that anti gun Google owns YouTube and that video might disappear soon.

Ok, thanks. Great idea.