Yuccacapt343

Montana Military Museum Receives LMG

10 posts in this topic

Good Morning All,

Just read this article yesterday...

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2087501829221/montana-military-museum-receives-rare-historic-rifle?s=oldSite&ss=i3

In the article, they state they aquired it from the National Center for Unwanted Firearms located in D.C.. I had never heard of this organiazation?

I used the link and it did not show the article for me.  Maybe it’s my computer and the link works for other people. 

This Nat't Center for Unwanted Firearms is one of the "sidelines" of Bruce Seiler, who is also a class 2 manufacturer.  He is in Montana.  He acquired a 41LMG look-a-like from me on behalf of the Montana Military Museum which honors the 1st Special Service Force of WWII fame.  He may have transferred the gun to them thru this Nat'l Center

7 minutes ago, camstuff said:

I used the link and it did not show the article for me.  Maybe it’s my computer and the link works for other people. 

Try this link...

https://www.fairfieldsuntimes.com/news/state/montana-military-museum-receives-rare-historic-rifle/article_ea0ca0eb-18f9-5645-ac4d-4b54d889427e.html

It's great that the museum got a "representative" Johnson LMG. However, it seems that the display indicates that the FSSF had Johnson semiautomatic rifles as well. If anyone has contact with the museum staff, it would be helpful to let them know that the FSSF did not procure any Johnson rifles. Also they are doing a disservice by stating that the USMC Raiders didn't like the Johnson LMG and the FSSF acquired theirs in a trade with the Marines for explosives.  Both of these claims are disproved by USMC and Johnson Automatics, Inc. documentation. 

Is this a member of the association of museums, or just a private collection? I have many times been asked to donate or reduce price for a "museum" which was shopper's private collection.  Sellers beware of this trick to get a better price.  Brian, was this your semi or a class 3 lmg?

Mr. Bruce Seiler responds:

Thank you for the information about the message board.

Even though I acquired the Rifle from you our Non Profit  (TNCUF) has donated several other Pristine WW-1 and WW-2 Firearms to the Museum which is a Federal Organization  and on the National Guard base.  I knew of their 31 year search for a Johnson LMG thru  discussions when making our other donations, thus their reference to the Non Profit.    This was a big deal for them to acquire your (semi) JLMG.  They had the local TV  station do a story and our local Newspaper as well where it was front page news.  The Museum is also affiliated with the First Special Service Force Association.

Am sure Colonel Read, Head of  the Museum (whom I dealt with), would be glad to speak to Mr. Canfield for the correct story.  His cell Phone Number is: 406-235-0290 he would appreciate the correction.

I knew a Bruce Canfield back in my US Secret service days.  He was a friend of one of our Armorers, Bob Lutz, of Carlisle, PA.   Was Mr. Canfield from that area do you know?  I recall he got Bob's Match Grade Garrand after he passed away- which may be a clue.

Will be mailing you a Certificate of Appreciation from the Museum (if I can dig myself out this week....snow bound)!   Without you they would be up the creek!  I told them how your creativity was to their benefit.   I requested that they put your name on a placard on the display case for "Special Thanks".

Best regards,

Bruce