mmeridith

USMC 6-43 Markings???

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone encountered these markings on the stock & perforated heat shield before? Legit or fake? SN# B4515

1304-7.jpg

1304-8.jpg

1304-9.jpg

As that SN is not listed in the Canfield book (Johnson Rifies and Machine Guns), as one of the SN's transferred to the USMC,  I suspect that is just someone's attempt to legitimize their gun story. Not helpful, and quite honestly could detract from actual value.

Thanks Art, that was my assumption also from scouring the archives here for info on USMC/cartouche markings.

Thank you

Is that your rifle? I ask, as I have not seen that SN listed on the site before.

No it is not... Just one I am watching at an auction. 

I have been wanting one for a while and just trying to learn as much as I can before making a "bad" investment.:wacko: 

Really good that you are researching here on this site/forum prior to any purchase. You have probably already gained a lot of insight into what to look for and what might be wrong. As you may have seen on a recent auction, many on this site think someone paid way too much for a rifle. But, as my dad, an old car salesman always said, "Everything is worth what someone is willing to  pay for it!"