Cole44

1941 Johnson For sale

31 posts in this topic

Someone for sure got one heck of a deal!

Best wishes.

2 hours ago, DArbeit said:

Well, I barely made it in the door at the show when I got an offer that I accepted. One of my concerns in selling the rifle was finding a buyer that appreciated what they were getting. I sold it for $3000. I guess I gave him a heck of a deal but he paid cash so maybe I was blinded by the green. I am happy with the deal and gave him several printouts from this site so hopefully he will show up here and be a contributor. Thanks for the input on my rifle. The important thing to me is that I had it for 50+ years and enjoyed it and preserved a little bit of arms history. I think it is a great design and should have had a chance to make a greater impact on WWII. 

Unfortunately you did accept half of what it was worth, in my opinion, and the guy who bought it is probably still celebrating. Also in my opinion the purchaser took advantage of you and your lack of knowledge of current prices due to your age. Some pirates hang out by the door to catch people bringing in firearms and make a low ball offer right off the bat before you can walk around and talk with others and see what's going on and get other offers. The gun show equivalent of a snake oil salesman.

Really sad thing, it could have been someone working for a dealer who does that. Our local shows no longer allow parking lot or 'floor' sales. There are show workers everywhere watching for just such issues.

Heck of a deal is right but then again, you can't lose taking a profit.  Transactions at gunshows are almost always cash.  When you think of how much cash is walking around a gunshow it boggles the mind.  I know I would always have $10 or 15K in hundreds and I was hardly alone.

2 hours ago, ArtR said:

"it could have been someone working for a dealer who does that."

That would be good. "Yea Boss, this guy had a 1941 Johnson in good condition and only took $4,500 for it! Can you believe that?"

6 hours ago, DArbeit said:

Well, I barely made it in the door at the show when I got an offer that I accepted. One of my concerns in selling the rifle was finding a buyer that appreciated what they were getting. I sold it for $3000. I guess I gave him a heck of a deal but he paid cash so maybe I was blinded by the green. I am happy with the deal and gave him several printouts from this site so hopefully he will show up here and be a contributor. Thanks for the input on my rifle. The important thing to me is that I had it for 50+ years and enjoyed it and preserved a little bit of arms history. I think it is a great design and should have had a chance to make a greater impact on WWII. 

However I'd be lying if I saw some guy with a JSAR that he wanted to sell, and I offered him $3,000 and he said "yes," that I'd tell him I'll just give him more anyway. Yea, I'd of bought that gun for $3,000. Plus shipping.