Jimbocious

Johnson Document collection at auction

13 posts in this topic

That collection has been on and off various sites for some time, and has not seen any activity.

I’ve been watching that collection for a while, I’ve asked the seller if there were any manuals included, he was quite vague so I backed off.

Might be a tad overpriced. And a vague answer does not help the cause.

Overpriced or not, someone at  some point somewhere will think it worth the price. As one local realtor once told me, "If a property does not move at a listed price, I never reduce the price, I always increase the price. At a low price, a property  may not fall into the price range of someone who is searching or they might think something's wrong with it. 90% of the time, if I increase the price, the property will move." I.E., buy it now, before the price goes up again. This guy dealt with properties no less than 7 figures.

I’ve been studying the collection, very interesting content which Bruce has put into one book for us for under $100.

however the value to myself is the manuals, I have no idea what they are worth, I’m considering this lot for that purpose only and offering the extras to pay for the investment however most of this will take up space for some time, If someone reading this beats me to it , I will gladly purchase a couple manuals from you. 

Any thoughts?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP1yG24fl-z-2mFZx-3Y0XlmDKq2_1_QRAWyTBGcDDGE7sEs04ovaiAnpJtnKXcFQ?key=V0lialpnY1Iyc0hBUUd2ZExtWDU0MVB1UDE2MHNn

This is the link to the lot on gunbroker it shows photos of handbooks , my question for the experts is, are handbooks the same thing as manuals? And are they originals? I assume if so that is the value in this lot. 

My thought is if there are enough items of interest with members on this site I’ll continue negotiations. I’ll try to find out how many of what there is. If it pans out I don’t mind just splitting this. Like i said all I’m after is a couple manuals.

Thanks 

It seems that a large part of this paper collection are copies of published sources and not worth much.  Many of us have the same stuff in our own collections.  I did not see any original manuals as such.  Without seeing/handling the papers, I could not determine if some of the letters are copies or originals.  The fact that it has been for sale before, leads me to think it is extremely overpriced.

I agree with Joe. I think the entire collection might be of interest to a neophyte who has no collection material. But, as also mentioned, for $50 you can buy the book that describes the whole story.....which is one of the reasons we did a book in the first place.   ej

I have the 1941 Johnson Machine gun manual it is original i picked it up many years ago   i don't know what it is worth  but i will sell it i don't have a Johnson Machine gun and never will

Im interested, if you want to email me you may at matconcrete@icloud.com. Thanks

I also don’t have a firm idea of value, maybe one of the members can clue us in. Thanks

I tried to contact the GB seller in an attempt to get a copy of the 1939 APG test report. No reply to date. If anyone has a copy, I sure would like to read it. 

I just noticed today on eBay that the price has been reduced for this Johnson paperwork.