Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matconcrete

Barrel on gb

7 posts in this topic

The seller has been running that bbl several times in the past year without takers.  He ought to consider lowering the price.  It is an original JLMG bbl with an apparently decent bore.  The heavy pitting on the side of the bbl and collar is more of a "cosmetic" problem which decreases the value.  It is worth whatever one is willing to pay.

I went ahead with the lmg barrel purchase ,  the thought that this lmg #0068, may have been in MMJ’s possession makes it feel like sacred ground , but being an entrepreneur myself and after reading his history I can hear him say “ use the damn thing” so I’ll compromise and use it with a different barrel. Have I lost it completely?

phil

These are made to be used.  This is not a 150 year old black powder item made of 19th century steel that you are trying to use with modern smokeless ammo.

True , one has to wonder if mmj had half the time that was taken with the garand to make improvements, and an impartial jury to demonstrate both the 41 and the lmg ,what different outcomes would have transpired.

Dad did not like the Garand gas take-off system at the time and was trying to avoid it completely so he went with recoil operation. He used gas system on a later LMG design.

The JSAR was competing with the gas trap Garand in the trials, a flawed design which was soon replaced with the gas port we know today.  The later Garands were a far cry from the old gas trap, having been subjected to multiple modifications and improvements during the process of producing millions.  Had the JSAR achieved this kind of production, there would undoubtedly been more than a few improvements