camstuff

JSAR calibers.

9 posts in this topic

I’m interested to see what other calibers fellow JSAR owners have successfully used. I’m aware of Winfield ads stating 270, and I think 243.  Also heard from a fellow forum member that 8mm Mauser will work. I’m currently using the two standard calibers and trying to fine tune the 308 mentioned in another post.   

The Johnson Rifle was designed for 30:06 and .270. There are existing variations to those calibers involving bullet weight and types of powder burning speed, as long as these variations do not impede the cycling operation of the recoil unlocking and extraction process. What would be the point of modifying it to other calibers?

"What would be the point of modifying it to other calibers?"

Hi Ed. Some have lots of this 8x57MM Mauser Romanian ammo around and it was obtained at a bargain price compared to 30/06 or 7x57MM Mauser. However factor in the price of a new barrel and the gunsmithing cost...well the choice is questionable IMHO.

It is good ammo and here is a review on Forgotten Weapons: https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ammo-evaluation-romanian-8mm-mauser/

I have a 8x57mm Mauser bbl made from a Dror as well as one in 7.62 x 51 (308).  I have shot them both and  they function flawlessly.

On 1/7/2021 at 3:14 PM, Brian Alpert said:

I have a 8x57mm Mauser bbl made from a Dror as well as one in 7.62 x 51 (308).  I have shot them both and  they function flawlessly.

I have considered an 8mm Barrel. What bullet weights have you used?  Does it feel like it has a bit more kick then the 30-06. 

On 1/7/2021 at 2:04 PM, Ed Johnson said:

The Johnson Rifle was designed for 30:06 and .270. There are existing variations to those calibers involving bullet weight and types of powder burning speed, as long as these variations do not impede the cycling operation of the recoil unlocking and extraction process. What would be the point of modifying it to other calibers?

As a shooter and reloader, I appreciated Ed's comment "What would be the point of modifying it to other calibers?"

For years I have enjoyed shooting a .30-06 for one particular reason. It is my go to rifle for so many things.  I can load it for plinking, varmint,  target shooting, and  big game hunting. If you look at some of the online reloading data that is available from one source, for the .30-06 alone, you could potentially get hundreds of different loads using 13 bullet weights, from 110 thru 220 grains, multiplied by styles, and some 30 listed powders. Add to that the possibilities of reduced recoil loads, again as long as they will fully cycle the rifle, you have in one caliber a lot to work with. Add to that the .270Win and you have just increased your possibilities. I own one .270Win bolt action. The same reloading source lists 10 bullet weights, from 90 through 180 grains, multiplied by styles, and some 28 different powders. Yes, the .270Win is just a necked down .30-06 case, but with some different ballistics.  Sure, you could do other calibers, but what have you gained?

I bought mine about 5 years ago,a Winfield sporter that came with two barrels,the Winfield 30-06 barrel,but the second barrel is an almost brand new 7.62x51 (308) one.

With handloads they both work great. 

I no longer roll my own so theoretical cost was an issue.  8x57mm Bosnian (I think) and Israeli is relatively cheap compared to 30/06 and I have a case of 7.62x51 Nato (Spanish), 70's vintage, that I bought years ago for 12 or 15 cents/round.  I have plenty of 30/06 ball in 5 round clips and bandoleers as well as in Garand clips 50's vintage which for some reason, I tend to hoard.  I have not noted any difference in recoil with any of them although I am no longer a serious shooter.....Garand Matches and all that business...but a "plinker"

Brian said "I tend to hoard"

It's not hoarding...it's planning ahead! :D