Brian Alpert

Chilean JSAR on GB

15 posts in this topic

This rifle was last seen in an estate sale back in Dec 2013

Art, did the previous owner ever request the serial numbers on this? I’m curious how many matched if they were requested.  

Item was only reported as being seen at an estate sale.  Basically a confirmation that the item existed. While we did not see if someone owned it, we now see it once again at auction. Possibly this trip around we might find more info.

This is one of the 7 or 8 JSARs Rick Crosier got at that estate auction in Indianapolis in 2013.  They all went for above $7K at that time.  Rick Crosier's estate or whoever took over Crosier firearms after his passing has it for sale on the GB auction.  Obviously, they don't even realize it is a Chilean 7mm....although I told them.

This will be an interesting auction to watch.  

Especially after 7 plus years, wonderful condition , thought it might have brought more? 

On 1/19/2021 at 9:16 AM, Brian Alpert said:

Crosier firearms has a beautiful Chilean JSAR on GB   https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889985236 They apparently don't know it is 7mm but it is obvious based on the serial #, stepped bbl and Navy Arms Import mark.  I let them know.

You did see the barrel is marked 30-06, right?

pix669673260.jpg

That is on the barrel collar guide. On very last photo, the barrel is  stamped "CAL 7". I looked at some of the photos, and it appears that maybe the bolt is original. It is hard to determine the 3rd digit, but the first 2 and last match production log. As has been stated before, many of the guns originally destined for Chile, in 7MM, are all original when they return. It will be interesting if this rifle is reported to this forum.

As for 7MM or .30-06, I sure hope the new owner knows the difference before trying to fire!

Just noticed that the seller did correct the listing on 1/22/21 to emphasize that the chamber is in 7mm. I really think that it should have shown 7mm WHAT....I believe Mauser?

I stand corrected. I guess I should have kept my nose out of the conversation.

1 hour ago, eb in oregon said:

I stand corrected. I guess I should have kept my nose out of the conversation.

For certain not a problem on this forum. How else would you learn that this was the way the rifles destined for Chile were made/marked/identified.

1 hour ago, ArtR said:

For certain not a problem on this forum. How else would you learn that this was the way the rifles destined for Chile were made/marked/identified.

I will conjecture though that a .30-06 will not chamber in a 7x57mm Mauser to the point it could be fired. Overall length and projectile diameter would not enable the cartridge to chamber and the bolt wouldn't completely close.

5 hours ago, eb in oregon said:

I will conjecture though that a .30-06 will not chamber in a 7x57mm Mauser to the point it could be fired. Overall length and projectile diameter would not enable the cartridge to chamber and the bolt wouldn't completely close.

Absolutely true, but the bolt stripping a round from a magazine is not going to care, and trying to slam a .30-06 into a 7mm chamber might not be a pretty sight. Embarrassing, but not pretty.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:58 PM, ArtR said:

Absolutely true, but the bolt stripping a round from a magazine is not going to care, and trying to slam a .30-06 into a 7mm chamber might not be a pretty sight. Embarrassing, but not pretty.

And if a reload with a high primer that might be a problem. With well loaded or factory ammunition maybe not so much as the primer is supposed to be a few thousandths beneath the case's base or at least flush. I've never seen a "blow up" from factory ammunition (other than a guy putting a M2 HB together without proper headspace), reloads several. To include an FN 49 I sold and the guy ran some reloads through it with soft and high primers. The rifle did not survive. Shall we not nit pick each other?