MMackey

Johnson Video By Mark Novak

9 posts in this topic

Very good video on the 1941Johnson Rifle  i have had mine apart but not to that extent  Thank You for posting

Help me here. Did he actually say that he shortened the recoil spring tube? There were some other things that had me wondering, but that was the one I remembered the most.

Do we need to record any of this, or somehow have it on file?

20 minutes ago, ArtR said:

Help me here. Did he actually say that he shortened the recoil spring tube? There were some other thing that had me wondering, but that was the one I remembered the most.

He did say he had to shorten it slightly because the end threads were damaged.  The video also showed it assembled without the buffer inside the tube, but he corrected that by making one.  One thing I noticed is that the charging handle he was fabricating showed a single rod inserted, when actually there is two, the lower rod is off set to fit into the extractor and to lock it into place,  and the upper is used for disassemble when pulled which most JSAR owners know already. I just wonder how his fabricated handle actually fit when the action was closed.

I for one was quite amazed when he showed the butt stock damaged and cracks and then the  repairs to the final finish, you would almost never know it had been repaired. Still overall a decent video. 

11 hours ago, Ed Johnson said:

Do we need to record any of this, or somehow have it on file?

Ed. I was able to download a 720p MP4 version and have on file. (504mb) so too large for email. I did this using Ubuntu Linux, so if anyone wants a try, I can possibly help.

OK. Art, if the subject comes up and the info would be helpful you can guide folks accordingly. That works.

I would like to correct some items in the video.  The two small pins that he removed over the trigger must be re-staked on each end. I have seen a pin not re-staked move sideways and one end drop inside the housing frame preventing safe operation.  The original stakes are very small and not noticeable.  Another items is the home made bolt handle.  It works in video but may not be rotating the proper amount to engage the lugs directly opposite each other.  This can deform the lugs when half engaged.  A Remington 8 handle rotates too much and and lugs deform.  That complex handle machining is very carefully designed.  The stock splitting in front is caused by over-tightening the screw.  The screw must have a lock washer (internal star) under the head, then a flat washer that screws onto the threads to prevent loss.  Without the lock washer, the screws will loosen and people over tighten trying to keep them in, this is what splits the wood.  The front lug of trigger housing should have clearance in the wood.  Recoil is only taken by the cross keys including the small 3/16" recoil tube key.  The drawing he shows without a buffer is an early 1939 design.  The buffer was added after that date. 

With regards to the tube, the threaded end can be shortened  to remove damage.  The threads are 1/2" long so 1/16" removal  doesn't hurt.  Again this is carefully designed.  The rear hole is countered-bored so that the flange contacts the wood and puts tension on the tube key to prevent movement of the tube.   A piece of 1/2" pvc tubing (5/8" OD) works good to push out the tube  from the rear.  The threads are an obsolete 15mm-40tpi which was an old lamp tube thread common in that period.

Video does not show the holes for the cross keys, but they are square to prevent rotation and keep keys in contact with the wood to take recoil.  The holes are counter-bored  just enough to accept the screw heads. This leaves a ledge at the square corners to let screws bear against wood preventing movement/loss.  Every detail of the rifles and wood are well thought-out and engineered for a purpose.

Did any one notice the 7mm Mauser barrel?

So if we DO keep a copy of the video, we would need to include Joe's post above. Otherwise.....don't keep a copy.....to avoid being involved in causing an error by someone using this site.