Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole44

JSAR Serial# 3539 For Sale GB

11 posts in this topic

I'd love to have a 1941 Johnson, but it is still just a rifle and not a gold bar. But we are living in some crazy times.

2 hours ago, eb in oregon said:

I'd love to have a 1941 Johnson, but it is still just a rifle and not a gold bar. But we are living in some crazy times.

I hope at some point that you might be able to own one. They are rather unique.

Items that are scarce, while though they appear 'common', do command a different price.

For example. Nearly 1,950,000 1911A1 pistols were manufactured between 1924-1945 by basically 4 manufacturers.  Depending upon condition, most fetch prices ranging from $1000 up to $4000. Change a few variables, such as contract (end user), original finish (blue vs parkerized), and the top price can shoot to $9000. Change manufacturer and number produced  by that manufacturer and all bets are off. Singer Mfg. Co. (sewing machines) had an early contract for 500 1911A1's and completed it, but made no more. Some who 'used' the Singer version say it was by far the very best. Regardless, they are so rare, countless 'forgeries' have been made. Some jokingly say, "there are only 700 of the original 500 left".  Singer produced about 0.025% of all 191A1's produced....the proverbial needle in a haystack. That being said, some genuine Singer models fetch prices between $24,000-$65,000.

Gold? Maybe not. But worth their weight? Close.

I have been monitoring this forum for numerous years, and over that time, between users who have mentioned their rifles and others rifles that have been seen on various other sites/auctions/etc, I have only been able to account for about 440+ of the approximate total 28,000 JSAR's that might possibly have been produced. And 28,000  JSAR's by comparison are only 0.8% of the  nearly 3.5 Million  M1 Garands produced. And 440 JSAR's  mentioned on a site dedicated to that model is only about 1.5% of the possible JSARS produced.

You do the math.

Someone told me once “gold is a good investment, but you can’t eat it” , a johnson may not be gold but its history and value are most interesting to follow, and up here in Maine you can find something to eat with one.

btw any input on the ‘14’ stamped on the stock?

Ps , as a novice collector I would love to have an original finish non prefix 41!

The 14 on the stock is anyone's guess. As for prefix or non-prefix SN....either is desirable if the gun is in good shape....only difference is, forum leadership does have the production logs for the non-prefix series, only because they were not lost/destroyed in a flood. If the A/B prefix logs had survived, we would have had that info as well.

Not to detract from the above, but there is/was also a '41 JSAR (don't know serial number) at Gunslinger Auctions starting at 12 PM Pacific Time.    gunslingerauctions@yahoo.com   www.gunslingerauctions.com    

They advertised in the Gun and Sword Collector Magazine p.46 in the February edition.

They also show a 1927 Ohio Ordinance water-cooled tripod mounted MG.     ej

On 2/5/2021 at 4:59 PM, ArtR said:

You do the math.

The math is people buy what they can afford. And I'll bet that my father's 1911A1 he brought home from his service in the pacific shoots just as well as a Singer, even though it is a Remington Rand slide on a Colt frame.

And, rare though it may be, that's still a lot for a rifle with a crack in the wrist of the stock. Accessories included.

Ed: That rifle on GunSlinger sold for $4050 SN A7729  a  Winfield Sporter

Art, thank you. I did suspect it might have been a Winfield unit.

I am still new here and new to owning (as contrasted with dreaming) a JSAR. I followed this rifle. It did not sell in the original listing, but it went for $8,990 when resisted.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/901036392