Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed Johnson

Firearms News - article on Johnson 5.7 Spitfire

8 posts in this topic

The latest issue of Firearms News (formerly Shotgun News) has an article on our trials and tribulations back in the 1960's on trying to build and market our MMJ 5.7 Spitfire Carbines on a shoestring budget. We didn't want to spend the money to do our own manufacturing unless we were sure the product would sell.. I feel we were wise to wise to stop when we did, as other manufacturers who were trying to build a similar product ran into more serious issues. Nevertheless....I'd still like to see someone make it successfully.....provided someone can also provide proper, reliable MMJ 5.7mm ammunition in a reliable, consistent manner.

Edited by Ed Johnson
to improve clarity in the sentence and subject magazine.

Well Ed, I chased this around on their website for better than a half hour trying to buy the digital version on three separate occasions. The app store says the app is unavailable, there is no way to directly contact those people to inquire how to buy a single issue (or ask any question at all), and there is no way to buy a single back edition. Apparently there are issues with the whole process. I'll have to call around and see if a store that is supposed to carry the publication still has July 2021, edition #13  on their shelf.

If you are unsuccessful, PM me your mailing address (not sure if I have it) and I'll mail you a rather sloppy B&W copy.  ej

Hey Eb , a friend gave me a copy , I’ll throw it in the mail. Pm

PM, thank you immensely for the publication. That was swell of you. I hope the ammunition fixes your problem.

The article in the "Firearms News" was terrific. That article had a bunch of information packed into a few pages. That article confirmed and increased my knowledge of the history of the 5.7MMJ. However the issue of actual "military" use is up for grabs as those who may have used the "Spitfire" for combat were technically rebels or mercenary's and the CIA don't count.

Ed, I never realized that Mel died so young. My condolences for your fathers passing before his time, but my appreciation of the contributions Melvin and you have made to the firearms world is without question.

And I agree with the closing paragraph of the article, if someone were to produce a quality M1 Carbine in 5.7MMJ, and the ammunition were readily available from major ammunition manufacturers, it would "sell like hotcakes."  The platform is vastly proven, parts for 90% of the gun (barrel excepting at present) are readily available, and it fills a nice little niche between 5.56 NATO and FN's 5.7x28.

And there are so many stocks and "widgets" out there now that it is a completely different rifle. Ah, if only one could still afford an M2 kit.

Thank you for the comments. And, yes, Dad died at age 55...much too young. And the logical folks to make Spitfires would be the ones already in production with new M1 Carbines. The ammunition needs to be plentifully available which, so far, is only produced sporadically. And I agree with you that "military" use is up for grabs, as I have no first-hand knowledge of such things....and so far, nothing in writing. I have actually fired a FN 5.7 as a pistol cartridge. It is shorter than our 5.7 and probably with less MV and energy. Recoil in a pistol was light and comfortable. Well......maybe some day, ours might catch on again.....I loved shooting mine....

Eb, you read my mind on the m2 carbine combined with the 5.7 spitfire, at Poulins auction this spring I bought a paratrooper m1/m2 Springfield conversion. Now all it needs is a barrel that changes out like a jsar and what a fun gun that would be.