flyer338

What to do to clean wood.

4 posts in this topic

This is the research topic that indirectly led me to this forum. How and how much to clean original Johnson wood?

I am a longtime JSAR fan and new owner. I think I got lucky on my purchase. It arrived via UPS last week. I have it field stripped and I am quite encouraged.

I want to clean the stock, but I do not want to devalue this historic firearm.

Just remember.....cleaning is one thing, refinishing is quite another....do the math.

When I got one of mine from an online purchase, it arrived slightly rusty as it had been stored in a damp basement. The stock was very dark, sticky and smelled bad so I refinished it. As I recall, I used mineral spirits to strip it and let it sit for a few days in the sun to get the smell out. I did not sand it as I wanted to preserve the original sanding/handling marks. My research led me to choose between linseed oil and tung oil as referenced in the links below. I chose tung oil as it is more waterproof and IMHO gives more protection from skin oils and sweat. Before the tung oil was applied, I also applied a Minwax stain as it penetrates and seals in addition to staining. Tung oil, when dried, is not slippery. As it stands now, rub you finger on the finish and it will squeak. 

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/4/14/which-oil-is-best-for-m1-garand-stock-refinishing/#:~:text=Wipe your new or old Garand stock with,two. Then wipe down with a clean rag.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-new-oil-finish

rag.JPG

stockstripped.JPG

stockprogress.JPG

stockrefin.JPG