newjohnny

Stock removal

10 posts in this topic

Any help would be appreciated. First time field stripping my Johnson and I can't seem to get the stock off. I don't seem to have the locking pin that I see in the videos? 

DSC_0865.JPG

There should be a takedown pin located at the point indicated in the attached picture. Sometimes the little tab on the pin is gone. You may have to use a pick of some sort to grab what's left of the pin to pull it out.

Takedown pin.jpg

Take down pin from numrich.JPG

Edited by M48TANKER
Add image of cross takedown pin

Another angle to show the takedown pin with the lifting tab swiveled toward the front and behind the retaining area of the receiver.

Lifting tab.jpg

I can get it to rotate a certain amount..but then it stops.

Here is the front takedown pin with it's tab slid behind the retainer. Sporters usually have an un-notched forearm which covers a shorter pin.

If you can get the rear pin to rotate, and there is no tab attached, you'll just have to get a grip on the remnants of the pin to pull it out. It might be a bit difficult if it has not been removed in a decade of so.

Front pin.JPG

There could be a small section of the lifting tab still on the pin head. Try rotating both directions to see if a piece of the tab is still there jamming the takedown pin from rotating any further.

I had the same thing happen to me.  The locking tab is rotated down instead of up, no amount of tugging will get it loose.  I was able to get to it by removing the stock (remove trigger assembly and all the other screws and the stock will come off)

I believe these two screws will allow the stock to be pulled straight down. The rear trigger guard screw just goes into the stock and not usually any metal.

bottom of stock screws.jpg

I think you are both right because there is no possible clearance  to rotate the pin enough to remove it. _20210717_142116.JPG

Got it!!.. Thank you guys so much!.. Now I was able to rotate the pin to the right spot. 

DSC_0870.JPG

Good Job NewJohnny!:D

Now when you reassembly the gun, put the pushpin in and then rotate it clockwise to the TOP. It's meant for you to be able to move it with the tip of a bullet. A lot of military firearms depend on you being able to work on them with the point of a bullet. The hole in the front right of the forearm is large enough to insert a 30.06 bullet tip in order to remove the barrel. The magazine cover door's hinge pin should be positioned so that the "L" on the rear of the hinge pin is horizontal and fits into a groove in the right front of the stock.

Johnny's mag hinge pin.jpg

Push Johnny's magazine pin position.jpgGood parked side shot.JPGt

Edited by M48TANKER
Clarity