M48TANKER

Looking for 1941 Johnson screw.

13 posts in this topic

Hey fellows,

I'm almost finished with another Winfield Deluxe Sporter stock conversion to Military stock and forearm configuration. Being a retired Custom Home Builder, cabinet maker, and career wood worker, I really enjoy reshaping and refinishing these stocks. I was fortunate enough to acquire three more unfinished Winfield Deluxe stocks and one of them already had the recoil tube hole drilled. I'm using some of my spare parts to complete the stock and forearm assemblies. I've installed the complete recoil tube and mainspring/buffer/follower/end cap. The buttplate has been in-letted and fitted. The sling swivel is in place, as well as the trigger guard, and recoil stops front and rear.  I have an extra complete trigger/hammer/sear block assembly and that too is in place with all the correct screws. The only things I'm needing are the screws for the forestock: the recoil stop screws and the screws that attach the forestock to the action.

I want to make this set of furniture as complete as possible for the next person who wants to re-militarize their Winfield Sporter. I will be open to selling only what the person needs: For example if you don't need the sear block/trigger/hammer assembly or the trigger guard, you won't have to purchase those.

TMALSS:(to make a long story short)........I really want the front forearm recoil stop screws and the screws that hold the forestock to the action.

Fore end recoil stop screw.JPGgunscrew.JPGforestock screws.JPG

I need two of the recoil stop screws as well.  I'm currently in line for a machinist to make me a set but would love to find some outright.  I took a sample to a fastener shop and they laughed and gave me a set of Philips heads that will work until I can get a good set...

Hope someone comes through for you....and me too

Frank

Rarecat,

I'll be sure to let you know. I'm going out to my shop right now to see if my machining skills will allow me to make some of these screws. I've made larger ones and threaded barrels, but when things get tiny my eyes deceive me.

Good luck!   just tell me where to send the money and how much you need!

Tanker: unfortunately for us, some of us guys are not getting any younger and our eyes are not doing much better. At least you have tools, know how, and the like. If you can make any parts, please let the powers that be know.

I kinda begged and bribed my my friends father to make me my two missing recoil screws.  It was so time consuming I didn't have the heart to ask for more than I really needed, sorry @M48TANKER 

Screw_2.jpg

Screw.jpg

Well, if he "single pointed" those threads rather than use a die it would take a lot more time and I understand your hesitancy to ask for more. Single pointing tiny screws isn't for the faint of heart. I've done it twice, never again. Buy the right die.

I was able to make a couple of the larger screws that hold the forearm to the barrel shroud. You are so right about time consuming! My lathe is an old Southbend 9 inch.

No DRO, no computer assist, just "seat of the pants."

I'm proud of the two screws which I made and I'm in the process of making a few more if I have time.

The smaller recoil check screws will be a bit more of a challenge. I'll let you know how that works out.

I wish we knew of a supplier who could furnish these screws in the correct head type. They are probably "out there" if we knew where to look.

1 hour ago, M48TANKER said:

I was able to make a couple of the larger screws that hold the forearm to the barrel shroud. You are so right about time consuming! My lathe is an old Southbend 9 inch.

No DRO, no computer assist, just "seat of the pants."

I'm proud of the two screws which I made and I'm in the process of making a few more if I have time.

The smaller recoil check screws will be a bit more of a challenge. I'll let you know how that works out.

I wish we knew of a supplier who could furnish these screws in the correct head type. They are probably "out there" if we knew where to look.

There are plenty of machine shops out there capable of making any screw you want. All you need is a drawing and some money. The difficulty with producing such screws is a matter of volume. When a machinist is making just a few of anything it is time consuming. So in order to make it profitable you have to make a bunch. So the lower the number of parts produced the higher the cost. The more parts lower the individual price. The trick is to make enough to sell but not  have a bunch that won't sell. I once had a Helwan (1951 Beretta) pistol in for repair. It turned out the recoil spring was toast. Nobody made or had that spring and nothing else was close enough to fit. I had a bunch of springs made and sold a few hundred to Numrich and an importer no longer in business. I still have a large box of those springs and I didn't quite break even.

Here is a guy who does custom gun parts.  He has all the appropriate CNC machines and is quite reasonable if you contract for 10 or more.  The parts are appropriately hardened and finished.  He as made op handle bodies and followers for me which are indistinguishable from originals.  http://www.steveearleproducts.com

For my 2 cents: If anyone found a source for making certain JSAR parts, look at probability of failure, availability, and what Numrich currently charges. If they are not available, and there is a decent price on them, how critical the part is. That might help in determining if the part is worth making a run or so.

4 hours ago, ArtR said:

For my 2 cents: If anyone found a source for making certain JSAR parts, look at probability of failure, availability, and what Numrich currently charges. If they are not available, and there is a decent price on them, how critical the part is. That might help in determining if the part is worth making a run or so.

Just saying, but screws rarely fail. They are lost or buggered up, but failure is rare.

except in the case where there is a 'failure to appear' which is often times the case,...besides buggered heads...ha ha