Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlightRN

Small California museum with 1941 Johnson rifle

6 posts in this topic

Good Day All,

A small, local military museum was having a car, flea market, and car crush with tanks show this weekend to attract visitors.  The American Military Museum , Fairfield, CA has been there for awhile but COVID hit them pretty hard. I was glad to see it open and a decent size crowd present and enjoying it.

As i walked through their main building, I noted the displays of firearms and accessories.  One cabinet in particular had an original 41 Johnson.  Serial number B8952 was an original finish example that looked complete and was in overall good condition.  The mounted bayonet was difficult to see but appeared to have been thinned down. I was pleased to see such a unique piece available for viewing.

Regards,

Michael

20211016_121545.jpg20211016_122118.jpg

FlightRN....thanks for the heads up...another sighting! I have to wonder how many others maybe tucked away in obscure museums or other locations.

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of JSAR's in museums the world over. I lost all the pictures of firearms I'd taken in the museums of Honolulu due to a "computer update" that erased years of pictures from all over the world. No, I didn't back them up, sometimes I'm not to bright.

However, I'm pretty sure I remember a 1941 JSAR in the U.S. Army Museum of Hawaii in Waikiki. And just about every single fire arm in that museum was pristine. They had a Japanese Type 89 grenade launcher that was mint. At least it looked brand new to me. Regardless we can surmise that there are probably a few hundred JSAR's in museums the world over. And who knows how many are just squirreled in somebody's closet, basement, or attic somewhere. Then I'm reminded that Cuba has probably not divested itself of all the JSAR's it acquired April of 1961. I'd not take any bets regarding their present condition.

The Aberdeen museum closed down rather abruptly a few years ago. I'm not clear where all their museum pieces have gone, but somewhere there are a '41 JLMG & a '41 JSAR.

Smithsonian has at least 1 JSAR, Cody museum has several items, I think, Marines have some, Special Forces at Ft Bragg have a JLMG, and perhaps the largest single collection would be at Springfield Armory Historic Site in MA....different models....including the JLMG prototype that Walt recently donated.    ej

There was a johnson 1941 at the did Day museum in New Orleans ( pre Katrina anyway); Springfield Armory museum has at least one in the reference collection ( if they are start offering tours again post COVID) along with a garland prototype with a JAR magazine adapted, and the Wright museum in Wolfbouro NH has a JAR 1941 on display ( the only item I recall that is on display noted to be on loan ) .

Springfield Armory National Historic Site (their new name) has a '41 JSAR and a '41 JLMG on display on the first floor. They have many other items upstairs in the vaults, including the Garand with the Johnson Rotary Magazine.