Ed Johnson

Amoskeag Auction Programs

50 posts in this topic

To all readers of this site.      I have already mentioned the Amoskeag Auction to be held on 11/20/21 and 11/21/21 in New Hampshire. It is a very large auction of multiple estates, and it also includes Johnson Rifle Prototypes and related written material. I expect to receive a small, limited number of large printed catalogs this week. If any of you would like a copy mailed to you, I will need to know ASAP because time is getting short. Priority will be given to Website Team Members, and then regular readers. Because of the mailing weight, I will need a small payment after you receive the catalog...using the honor system. If you do not wish to wait, and have a serious interest in the Johnson products, contact Amoskeag directly.    Ed J

I would like one as well.

Thank you.

Ed

I would like a copy. Let me know if you need my address.... and advise the cost

Many tks

ArtR

On 11/9/2021 at 5:46 PM, Orlando said:

I would like one please, when time comes let me know further instructions

On 11/9/2021 at 5:46 PM, Orlando said:
To:   Orlando                                               11/10/21 @ 6:25 PM EDT

My E-mail address is   edwardrjohnson610@gmail.com  I will need your USPS mailing address ASAP and also your E-mail address. So far, it looks like I might be able to send you an Amoskeag Auction Catalog by tomorrow afternoon if I get no further requests from actual members of our website Team. Be advised that these attractive catalogs have many pages of firearms and are heavy. The mailing packages weigh about 5 lbs. The only way I want to ship them is priority mail in a cushioned envelope, insured, so the cost will be in the $15 to $30 range, depending. If I ship Thursday, you can expect them by Tuesday, which gives you time to look through them and be organized if you want to bid on any products, Johnson or otherwise. Once I have the catalog in the US mail I'll know the final $$ charge and will E-mail that to you. Once you actually receive the package successfully, then you can send me a check. Honor system. And if you prefer not to spend the money, its no problem. Just let me know.   Ed J

On 11/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, flyer338 said:

I would like one as well.

Thank you.

To: Flyer                                                 11/10/21 @ 6:27 PM EDT

My E-mail address is   edwardrjohnson610@gmail.com  I will need your USPS mailing address ASAP and also your E-mail address. So far, it looks like I might be able to send you an Amoskeag Auction Catalog by tomorrow afternoon if I get no further requests from actual members of our website Team. Be advised that these attractive catalogs have many pages of firearms and are heavy. The mailing packages weigh about 5 lbs. The only way I want to ship them is priority mail in a cushioned envelope, insured, so the cost will be in the $15 to $30 range, depending. If I ship Thursday, you can expect them by Tuesday, which gives you time to look through them and be organized if you want to bid on any products, Johnson or otherwise. Once I have the catalog in the US mail I'll know the final $$ charge and will E-mail that to you. Once you actually receive the package successfully, then you can send me a check. Honor system. And if you prefer not to spend the money, its no problem. Just let me know.   Ed J
23 hours ago, ArtR said:

Ed

I would like a copy. Let me know if you need my address.... and advise the cost

Many tks

ArtR

You are all set

22 hours ago, Rarecat said:

count me in if any are left....and thank you in advance

You are all set

Edited by Ed Johnson
correction of writer goof up

5 hours ago, Orlando said:

e-mail sent,Thanks

Yes. All set.

To all site users.....I have no more Amoskeag Catalogs available. If you need further info on the auction, contact Amoskeag Auctions in Manchester, NH directly.

I thank everyone for their interest.   Ed J

My friend (and FFL) is at the Tulsa gun show this weekend and was able to handle these rare Johnson rifles  in person....he had to call me and rub it in.  I'm green with envy

I'm confused by this. I thought the auction rifles were at the Amoskeag Auction House in Manchester, New Hampshire. Did they have a special showing in Tulsa, prior to their auction on this next weekend, in order to drum up interest?  Ed J

2 minutes ago, Ed Johnson said:

I'm confused by this. I thought the auction rifles were at the Amoskeag Auction House in Manchester, New Hampshire. Did they have a special showing in Tulsa, prior to their auction on this next weekend, in order to drum up interest?  Ed J

I believe this is the case, will ask my buddy when I talk to him next

I talked to the auction people and learned that the production log and many blueprints, papers, etc. are also for sale.  What items do you consider most important to purchase to prevent disappearance into someone's personal collection.  I will try to purchase them if we can find a home for them.  I am too old to keep them.   Even though I had digitized many of the papers, I think we should try to save them.  The gun estimated prices are wild guesses according to the person behind the tables.  Suggestions?

I hope to attend the auction, If someone on this site is intending to purchase any item for the purpose of keeping these 

available to the public let me know, I wouldn’t want to drive up the price for an admirable cause. 

Hope to see some of you there. Phil Mattingly 

Well, as I haven't won the lottery this last week, and though I'd like to attend and buy all that stuff, at present I appear to be financially embarrassed.

I truly wish that I had the spare cash to bid at least on the production logs

I will try to openly address this sensitive subject. The production log book was originally intended to be with the entire collection along with the papers, etc. on the premise that all would go to a museum. Over the years, that was changed because of problems involving the manner in which the museums seem to operate. (a) They don't pay for the material any more, but (b) they periodically change their displays and (c) even go so far as to actually sell off some of their collections to the highest bidder.

The problem became more problematic recently because of the value of the Johnson guns. No private party showed interest in purchasing the entire collection outright. Knowing this was possibly going to happen, the Johnson Website Team had taken protective action (copying) on the paperwork.

If some Website Team members want to bid at Amoskeag on something like the production logs, I am willing to cough up $100 towards a "group" purchase (someone else can handle the actual bid process and I will reimburse). As for who should then actually possess the logbook, it should be a team member who would be willing to share it with the rest on a rotating basis. Joe Scott has indicated that, because of his age, he would prefer not, which I understand. I am 81 and feel a younger person than myself would be more logical,

At the same time, I need to point out and remind everyone that possessing things like this can always be a risk. Paper is easily damaged, especially by fire. We had some very bad luck in recent years that was suffered by two of our members who both lost their homes to major fires, along with pets, most of their collections and virtually all of their paperwork.

Walter Liss has also suggested, instead, that the Springfield Armory Museum (National Historic Site), of which 3 of our team are members, would actually therefore be an appropriate facility for the logbook. This is a large, fully alarmed facility with fire resistant storage areas, and we know the curator quite well. I would be quite satisfied with such a move if the team agrees.

And, to be open minded, if one or more of you (non-website-team) readers gets involved with purchasing any of the Amoskeag - Johnson items, and want to discuss such special disposition or get more involved with us, please contact me directly.

Lastly, we lost a very valuable member, Dr. Brian Alpert, to cancer in August. I will be replacing him with a new member following a review with the Team over the next few days. Brian had also made some suggestions along these lines over a year ago, when Brian knew he was in trouble with cancer. True to the end, he wanted this Website to continue after his death, as I do as well.  

Anyone wishing to connect with me privately can use   edwardrjohnson610@gmail-com

Thank you all for your interest.....        Ed J

As I think more about this, I wonder how many 'young' folk are out there who either know of or appreciate the value of these items. Too many young folk today are of the 'me now' generation....the use it and throw it away crowd. I fear that many of the current 'team' may also be aging. I know that I am not getting any younger, and that I may one day soon have to think about what I do own. I fear my own heirs may not appreciate things as I do.

I am also becoming more leery of museums, as I have seen a local museum try to dispose of an item, that they thought that they owned, only to find that was only on loan to them. I have to wonder what they will do when the last of the generation that knows of the true status of the item passes away.

If the Springfield Armory Museum would use and appreciate any item, especially the log book, I would be willing to contribute a donation, either matching Ed's or a bit more,  towards the purchase. The problem is, this is an auction, and not knowing who is bidding or the amount, we would need to have a bare minimum available and ready to pay immediately at auction close.

It is again truly unfortunate that the current custodian has taken this route to dispose of the collection. I had never heard that any of the items were up for any sort of disposal prior to this auction announcement. If there had a been an announcement, I am sure that it would have created quite a stir on this forum.

I may be the youngster here at 59 but I'm just getting started on the Johnson adventure.  I thought about jumping into the auction action but 1).  I'm on the road already in WA state for family stuff, 2).  I'm about to close on a Refi and need to keep cash balances stable and 3).  I'll be adding a Semi Auto LMG to my collection after closing the refi.  I'm happy to either join in or help fund securing the paperwork.  I'd also be willing to be a caretaker of said documents if needed.  

Does anyone have an estimate of what price these are expected to sell?  Even a SWAG?

Frank

I have a printed auction book for estimates.  Log book, lot #208- $1000-2000;  Blueprints, documents,etc, lot# 212- $400-600.  I would guess you will have to pay commission, shipping, etc of about 20/25%.   I will contribute up to $1000 towards purchase, log book first, then papers next.  Matconcrete, if you can't attend, they take phone bids. 

I'll match Mr. Scott's contribution, let's keep these historic documents safe and "in the family"

I plan on attending, I’ll plan on bidding in person, I would be happy with a good copy myself. What you folks decide to do with originals I’ll leave up to you. We can sort out later who owes what. 

Btw rarecat I am only 58. Lol

phil

If we can get pledges of 150k I’ll try to bring it all back.(interpet as humor)

In all seriousness , I’ll make every effort to obtain lots 208 and 212

Phil