flyer338

To the range

12 posts in this topic

I took my JSAR to the range for the first time today. Tomorrow there is a vintage semi-automatic rifle match and I am going to participate. I also took my Garand to the range for the first time in 30 years.

In order to zero at 100 yards, I had the rear sight in the notch between 3 and 5. I am shooting Privi Partisan ammunition loaded for the Garand with a 150 grain bullet. Three shot groups at 100 yard were about one inch; that surprised me some what. In addition to having a better trigger than my Garand, it is also more accurate. I thought that with the barrel movement, that would not be the case. I suspect that the longer sight radius may be an advantage for the JSAR. 

I will report back tomorrow after I win the match. ;)

Let us know “what we all won” at the range with your groupings!  

I learned a lot today about shooting a JSAR. The targets were steel plates of various sizes at ranges between 150 and 400 yards. The targets were south of the firing line, which meant I was looking into sun. Not good. In the future I will make sure I have a hat with a wide brim.

I think I understand why the Marines may have filed a V-notch in the rear sight and removed he protective ears on the front sight. With the sun in my no longer young eyes, I found it difficult to pick up the target through the small aperature. It reqired care to make sure I was using the front sight blade blade instead of one of the protective ears.

On the plus side the JSAR's trigger is the best of any of the semi-automatic rifles I own. When the light is behind one, or at least not shining into one's eyes, the small aperature is an asset - otherwise a good hat is necessary (I normally do not wear a hat).

I noticed that most, but not all, of fired cases had an indentation similar to a rimfire firing pin mark on the case head. I will post a picture of the case head soon. I wonder what is causing that?

All in, it was a good day, and I will have another try next month.

I replaced the recoil spring; the spring that came with the rifle measured 10.5" and the new spring measured 12".

From a mechanical standpoint, what do you think is happening? I plan to reload the cases.

I'm really confused by your difficulties as the M1 Garand has the same front sight ears (as do most all other service rifles) and a National Match sight has a .052 diameter hole in it. I think that pretty close to the rear sight of a JSAR. Practice makes perfect.

Prior to last Friday, I had never fired a JSAR, I had not fired my Garand in about 30 years, and my M1A has not been fired in 15 years - you could say that I am out of practice.

However, much of what I used to know is coming back, and I am motivated to do better.

I did catch on to loading the JSAR using stripper clips. I really like shooting the JSAR; the recoil is quite mild. I have some new Lake City match cases, some 176 grain match bullets, as well as some IMR 4895. I will be assembling some ammo very soon.

2 hours ago, flyer338 said:

Prior to last Friday, I had never fired a JSAR, I had not fired my Garand in about 30 years, and my M1A has not been fired in 15 years - you could say that I am out of practice.

However, much of what I used to know is coming back, and I am motivated to do better.

I did catch on to loading the JSAR using stripper clips. I really like shooting the JSAR; the recoil is quite mild. I have some new Lake City match cases, some 176 grain match bullets, as well as some IMR 4895. I will be assembling some ammo very soon.

Though not having my JSAR for all that long I like shooting it also. As well as the Garand.

I am cautious about admitting the heresy of liking the Garand on this forum. However, when my DCM Garand arrived at the post office about 1981, it was one of fewer than a half-dozen rifles I owned. I quickly concluded that should I be limited to one rifle, this would be the one.

Today, with ten times as many long arms in my collection, the question is not so easily answered. I do know that I am going to be shooting a lot more.

9 minutes ago, flyer338 said:

I am cautious about admitting the heresy of liking the Garand on this forum. However, when my DCM Garand arrived at the post office about 1981, it was one of fewer than a half-dozen rifles I owned. I quickly concluded that should I be limited to one rifle, this would be the one.

Today, with ten times as many long arms in my collection, the question is not so easily answered. I do know that I am going to be shooting a lot more.

Anyone limiting themselves to a single firearm is engaging in self defeating practice. If everyone liked the same thing there would only be one rifle. Me? I like choices, enjoy the differences between designs, and shooting them. I don't really have a "go too" rifle as they all have advantages and disadvantages, but I lean toward the Yugoslavian M76 as I do like the telescopic sight and the detachable box magazines. And 8x57 is a mighty fine cartridge. Every bit as good as the 30.06. The JSAR's I like as I think the design not only unique, but practical. It's also increasingly rare, a nice attribute in the event of re-sale. And I find it just plain attractive. But it'll never be a bayonet fighting rifle regardless that tent peg that attaches to the muzzle.

The tent peg was the only way to meet the requirement for acceptance because the recoil operation of the JSAR was affected by weight. I know that bayonets were used in WWI on bolt-action rifles and trench warfare, which is why that was the requirement. I do not know of them being actually used in WWII but will yield to someone who knows for sure that they were.