Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matconcrete

Opportunity?

6 posts in this topic

The stock with complicated checkering looks familiar. Have we seen this rifle previously?  ej

In Sept. last year, M48Tanker referenced this same or similar fancy carved stock in one of his posts

I can find no other reference to it in any other posts, not to say that it may not have shown on some other auction site.

4 hours ago, matconcrete said:

Can’t help but think somebody should by both of these swap stocks and resell? Anyone have a rearsight? Main drawback to myself are drilled holes.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/926942150

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/925813489

Nope.

Years ago there was a Winfield Deluxe Johnson Sporter on the market with the fancy carved stock, nice scope and mount, gold plated parts, etc. I believe the story is that the gun was inherited by someone who just wanted to sell it. It had belonged to his father or uncle who lived in Alaska and used the rifle for hunting. I think Brian purchased the rifle and the rear stock got broken at the wrist in shipping, at some point in it's life. The repair didn't suit Brian and he replaced the repaired stock with the other "checkered" stock. I don't know what became of the repaired "Fancy carved stock" and I'm not sure if Brian scrapped it or not.

I ended up buying the "Checkered" stock rifle from Brian and would like to return it to the "Fancy Carved Stock" like it was delivered long ago from Winfield. I found a carved front forestock on the internet and bought it cheap. I'm still looking for a carved rear stock but I wouldn't want to buy a complete rifle just to get it. I might contact the seller and inquire if he would consider trading the wood he has for something else.

fancy sporter Winfield carved wood..JPG

It might be more worth the swap if there was one good Johnson between the two. But both of them have been altered for scope mounting. I wouldn't really want to invest $8,000 for two sporters like that. Maybe they could be sold but these two aren't really attracting much attention by buyers apparently. Someone sure put a lot of work carving the one fancy stock, though. Funny how you guys have watched these kinds of "special" Johnsons pass from hand to hand over the years!

Being new to these, would the second D&T'd Johnson sell for $7-8,000 if you swapped barrels with the fancy stock one? If so, a buyer of both would have the other one for near nothing.  The parts would then be worth the investment.