ArtR

Off Topic, but....

7 posts in this topic

Number 1 in the first section should be interesting since the background check doesn't always work for alerting the FFL. Who does the ATF go after when that happens?

Those of you possessing a license I have a recommendation regarding it's renewal. At the end of last October I realized I hadn't received my renewal paperwork for my Class I license. I was a week away from expiration, so I called the ATF, spent some time on the phone and finally got a real human being. I explained my dilemma and was told that the paperwork had been sent in August. I replied I never received it. I was then told to call "your local agent" and given a name and phone number. I called immediately (it's Monday) and got voice mail. I left my name, license number, and phone number. By Friday I'd received no response so I called again and left the same message including my license was near expiration. And received no response. Monday, the day before my license expired, I again called "my local agent" and left a message. I also called the ATF, finally got a voice message about renewal, and left the same message. One week later (my license had expired) I'd received no reply from "my local agent" or the main office so I closed my books and all firearms in those books not sold by the expiration date of my license were recorded as "Retained by dealer." Copies were made and things left on the desk. The ATF regulations specifically state "if the business is discontinued the licensed dealer, manufacturer, or imported must surrender all records to ATF within 30 days." The deal is I didn't "surrender" my license, the ATF refused to contact me regarding it's renewal. As the ATF refused to speak with me I decided to wait for them to come and get my records. Which they eventually did, more than a month after expiration. Three agents came to collect my records the following week, wearing a face diaper the entire time. And copies of all documents (not the bound book or 4473's), dates of phone calls, and letters had been sent to a good friend as a backup. Trust no government agency these days.

I have a Type 07 license and just had it renewed after they came and inspected my books. They do look at every form and entry to see if I left anything out. I did not have any problems and got renewed without trouble. I can certainly see them turn more political and start fabricating infractions or blowing up small problems into big ones. Especially if they are told to get rid of as many dealers as possible. eb, sorry for your troubles. Can't trust anyone. I get the card of the agent who inspects my books and make sure I can get ahold of him personally if I have any trouble. The dems and rhino republicans are letting our freedoms be stripped away day after day. Nice that they are all super rich, though! I'm sure God will reward them, for what they have all done to us, at the right time!

I just renewed my 07 sent payment and paperwork off as soon as I received it. New license showed up 3 weeks before old one expired. No inspection yet. NSSF has been sending out info on the ATF's new approach, the article above is correct they are taking licenses for miner infractions. There was a internal memo sent out by the ATF a year ago giving new inspection practices, this was not made public but has been leaked and is out there.

My 03 license was going to expire in April 2021.  Did not receive my normal renewal so I called and they sent me the paperwork, luckily I was watching and caught it in time, received my new license 2 weeks before it expired.  

Since most of us have recently gone through renewal. we won't have to worry about it ourselves for a while longer. We'll see what happens in the next year or so overall to other FFL lincensees.