camstuff

Is this worth it? JSAR Carbine for sale.

20 posts in this topic

This showed up tonight, and I have an opportunity to go see this in person. It’s advertised as a clone.  Is it really that valuable?   If so, what should I look for?  Any advice good or bad would be very helpful.  

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/928636926

Hey Cam: you must be in north AZ. area. I am in Prescott. Let me know what you think of the carbine.

I saw it a while back.

Ryche

Yep, your correct neighbor, I had no idea you were here, I would gladly like to meet and discuss JSARS. 

Ryche: What did you think of it?  Was the seller a reasonable person?  

email me and we will share numbers and discuss. Camstuff@yahoo.com

Thanks Bruce, I had never thought about the carbines until Brian Albert had a couple for sale and was considering his until his passing.  This one is local and figured I would check it out.  We will see what happens.  

For anyone interested, here is a link to the thread from last years post on this item, and the associated discussion, along with some good photos.

35 minutes ago, Rarecat said:

I'd consider his trade offer...

I talked to the seller this morning and he’s only interested in original JSAR’s for trade.  So that means I’m bowing out on this one. And It turns out that Ryche knows the fellow. 

Thanks for all of this history with the links. The American Rifleman article was great. I like the Daisy Mae! It's great that Bruce has one of the prototypes in his possession. Thanks for this review.

12 hours ago, camstuff said:

Yep, your correct neighbor, I had no idea you were here, I would gladly like to meet and discuss JSARS.

Well, It turns out Ryche_me is really a closer neighbor then I had thought,  we live about 1/4 mile from each other. We had a 3 hour show and tell visit today and I tell you Ryche is very knowledgeable about his collection, including some variations of the Johnson’s. Also learned more about the Johnson carbine clones. 

Another coincidence is #7125 which I had sold recently, well Ryche use to also own at a time before it was my turn.  We had a great visit and I’m sure we will be going to the range.  Thanks for letting me visit your museum Ryche. 

What a co-inky-dink! Glad that you guys got to discover one and other and got to visit!

Great that you got to do a show and tell!

14 minutes ago, ArtR said:

Met Cam today very cool guy. Thanks for the Edit. Alot of you guys already know about some of my stuff from Ian's videos and forum conversations with Brian, Tanker, and Joe so i wasn't to worried. We had a good time and a very good conversation. Looking forward to some range time together when my schedule clears up a little :)

Fun story about the commercial JSAR that he mentioned. I owned and sold it several years before he acquired it. not only from the serial num. but also some very distinctive elements  about that particular rifle. :))

Ryche

I'm jealous you two are so close and can shoot and enjoy each others collections together. Be careful talking about each others Johnsons out in public, though!

Hey WHIG...  Old school. but a very good point!  Ha ha

Funny, as I was talking with a shooting buddy the other day, and while he does not own a JSAR, he is into knives and other pointed things. He was looking at a JSAR bayonet and scabbard that he had seen, but was not sure if he should buy it. I simply suggested that he could always just mount it to his Johnson, and he cracked up!

For Bruce above....since we do believe you own one of the originals, can you advise if there are special markings or serial numbers on your piece? This way, we can determine if any similar carbines are shown for sale, whether they might be "originals" or simply a modified copy, similar to what Brian Alpert had his gunsmith construct.

Ed,  There are no special markings on the Auto-Carbine except for the one-digit serial number with a "S" prefix (S-5 on mine).  The receiver has the same markings as a standard M1941 rifle. The only other originals I am aware of are two in the Cody Musuem.There are a number of distinctive features that make it easy to differentiate a genuine example from a put-together using M1941 LMG and JSAR parts. These include the safety, configuration of the butt stock and top of the receiver, among other things.