Blueheeler

Forend cross pin retaining clip

18 posts in this topic

The little metal piece that attached to the forend with a small nail and retains the front crosspin. I need one and realize it's one of the hardest parts to find. Has anyone found or fabricated a reasonable working substitute? Thanks.

I know what you mean and quite honestly, it seems like it might be a simple part to fabricate. The nail,  however, was sort of a spiral shank type. While not quite a screw, it would resist prying out. I did get one years back, as my rifle needed one, but I forget where I got it or from who. It was quite possibly from someone on this site.

Someone recently I had a conversation with said he purchased a forearm from Numrich or SARCO, he had called to verify if it had the retainer clip, and it did.  

7 minutes ago, WHIG said:

I just bought one from Numrich to have an extra. I don't know if they have more. 

I dont see them on the numrich site.

I may be mis-understanding what piece you are referring to. On Numrich, I purchased a "Cross Pin, Front" that has the retainer clip on the top that is used to lock the stock onto the receiver. (Part #10 below) They still show in stock for $8.37. Are you referring to another part? Maybe you are talking about the hooded part that the retainer clip slips under? I don't know the names of all the parts yet.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/johnson/semi-auto-1941

Johnson_Semi-Auto1941_schem.jpeg

5 minutes ago, WHIG said:

I may be mis-understanding what piece you are referring to. On Numrich, I purchased a "Cross Pin, Front" that has the retainer clip on the top that is used to lock the stock onto the receiver. (Part #10 below) They still show in stock for $8.37. Are you referring to another part? Maybe you are talking about the hooded part that the retainer clip slips under? I don't know the names of all the parts yet.

I believe he's talking about the small spring clip on the right rear corner of the forearm (actually nailed to the forearm) that captures the lever of the take down pin. It looks simple, and if making one, it is possible. With several tries and lots of cursing. To make more than one would require making some dies to stamp the part in several operations. And in the end it would be a labor of love.

12 minutes ago, WHIG said:

Yes, i am referring to the part that is nailed to the forend that the cross pin  head pivots under to keep it in place.

There are so many pieces that are not either 'pictured' or 'described' in the few available diagrams.  Several of the diagrams do not point out all the screws. Plus we are sort of at the mercy of whatever the supply source calls an item. Numrich has a whole slew of items listed as "Not Illustrated" including the rear cross pin, main spring, main spring follower, butt plate, butt plate screw, and many others.

Thanks for that clarification. It does seem like the JSAR has many parts that are not easily described or referenced. Somewhat unusual. But when there are experienced people around, it helps in figuring out what's what. I'll have to check this part out on mine to see how difficult it may be to make a replacement.

Found photo of the 'broken part' that I replaced so that you can see the 'nail'. Cannot find photo/image of a complete new part

DSC_2039A.JPG

That retainer has no original name or part number,  It is my belief that the wood supplier made or installed them. I used  to make some but broke three for every good one. Never found twisted nails source.  A shortened paneling nail  works. I consider this the only weak point of the rifles.

The original manufacturing of these parts could have been done with one quick stamping of a small piece of metal. Fabricating a replacement part today, surprisingly, takes quite the set up and skill. Good thing most of these are not broken on our own JSARs!

Tanker. That is the piece, less the nail. Boy, if someone could find a way to duplicate that part, it would be worth a few dollars for sure. Now that Joe chimed in that he once made them, I am sure that is where I got mine years ago. While they do not often break, it does happen, and one will never know when.

Joe: Did you use just sheet metal or did you use spring steel? It sort of looks like spring steel, but who knows.

If members look closely at the schematic that CAMSTUFF included from the American Rifleman 1965 article, you will see the part illustrated but not listed.

Screenshot from 2022-04-03 21-27-49.png

After some thought, I understand why the part was formed the way it was. An integral part, necessary to hold the cross pin in place, yet using its shape and the mode of fastening, it gave it strength. I am wondering if the part was formed while 'hot', which would have made it easier to form, without breaking. Cold stamp cut the steel, then hot roll form and bend.  Just a thought.

ArtR

With respect to the pin retainer, I used .012" steel shim stock- hand bent.  I once flattened a good one to get correct shape, there are small "teeth" on each end and a curve where the pin arm goes.  A punch die would be expensive, then a die for forming in three directions even more expensive.  You would have to use annealed spring steel and then heat treat after forming.  Just not worth the cost to make new ones.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:43 AM, Joseph Scott said:

With respect to the pin retainer, I used .012" steel shim stock- hand bent.  I once flattened a good one to get correct shape, there are small "teeth" on each end and a curve where the pin arm goes.  A punch die would be expensive, then a die for forming in three directions even more expensive.  You would have to use annealed spring steel and then heat treat after forming.  Just not worth the cost to make new ones.

Agreed. Punch dies aren't cheap and the very narrow market would hardly justify the cost. I'll add that a single die can't form the piece in a single step. The rolled portion that retains the cross pin would require a separate die as you can't form a piece in two different directions at the same time.