hueycc

1941 Johnson Carbine at Tulsa Show

20 posts in this topic

Saturday at Wanamaker Gun Show a 1941 carbine as the seller said it was.?Had a LMG stock with receiver and high sight on barrel look like org parts.

Should have asked MR Scott but was latter in the day. Did  see 7 bayonets and sheath including MR Scott's 3. Saw no Johnson rifles for sale but did not have enough

ambition to see maybe half of the tables. Good show with more people and item than i could see. Was good the see Mr Scott and Wife are still able to get to the show.

My friend bought a Daisy Mae Clone at Tulsa over the weekend, probably the same rifle.  I'll get my hands on it this week

Just curious the asking price was 15,000 if it was the same rifle? It sure look interesting and congratulation if you get to fire it.

Resurrecting an old thread.  Through some horse trading with my friend, I'm now the owner of this Daisy Mae Replica.  Based on searches here, it looks like it may have been built by and once owned by Brian Alpert.  The finger grooved front hand stock being the key identifier.  Will be taking it to the range this weekend for some test firing.  

Jewell Carbine.jpg

I’m jealous, I was seriously thinking of picking up one of Brian’s “carbines” . “ He who hesitates is lost”

I don't know if Art has Brian's replica Carbine listed on any of our previous serial number sheets. If so, and you came up with a match, and could establish Brian as the previous owner, this would not be a bad thing in terms of $$ value. Brian was a very well respected member of our team, and as a collector he was always reputable.

We do believe that Bruce Canfield is the owner of the Torgerson Carbine from WWII.....and we have not found any other originals.

Art and I checked the serial number against his list and this was Brians rifle.

Rarecat: You are one blessed guy!

So that’s what it is like to live in a free state?

Will rarecat adopt me?  Very nice family photo!  Love it. 

That settles it! Now I need a carbine for the trifecta!

We can only appreciate this collection and look on it with some envy. Virtually unreproducible collection! Thanks.

Hey Rarecat: Nice pic but where is the postwar commercial? or maybe a DROR?

In all seriousness just kidding. Having all three in one place is a collector achievement.

But you need a pic of the Garand hiding in the corner in shame:lol:

Ryche 

Don't get me wrong i own two Garands but still prefer the JSAR over them.

Funny you should ask; I actually left the Winfield Deluxe and the indoor target pellet gun out of the picture....red headed stepchildren and all that....   

I am somewhat inclined to believe that the Winfield is responsible for most modern collectors to have heard of the Johnson.. (say 1950's on)

Due to limited military use, most have never even heard of it until recently.. (say last 20 years or so).

Anyway in my family photo it has a prominent place below the military issue pieces. :)

Ryche

All you guys drooling over rarecat's find, in case you did not see it, here is what is potentially a good project starter.

ArtR: Actually Rarecat and i have been discussing that very item over on the LMG thread.

I believe he is bidding on it. If Anybody is attempting to build a Paracarbine i believe i may still have some of Dr. Alpert's

blueprints for the rear sight base. He helped me several years ago as i was building mine.

Mine is very close to being finished, need grip escution. The small female end that the screw goes into in the grip.

Also need to get the barrel finished with the right color bluing. Just the front end though as i had to use a cut down rifle barrel that was screwed up on the front end.

Anyway  builds are alot of fun if you have the time and money to do them well.

Resources like our friend Brian Alpert will be sorely missed.

Ryche 

Quick Range Day Report.  Both the LMG and Carbine functioned flawlessly.  It was way too hot to do more than function test.  Grouping and accuracy will have to wait for cooler temps....

20220629_162500.jpg

Looks like fun to me!!!  But that heat gets to me as well.  At least the kids got to play for a little bit.  😁